VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

The PCM audio in the CD-ROM version of SQ4 is plagued with loud clicks/pops that occur seemingly at random. The overall sound quality is not that great, but the clicks are particularly annoying. An example with several clicks is in the intro when the hologram of Vohaul's head appears and speaks to Roger, starting around the point where the word "domination" is spoken.

The cause of the problem appears to be an error in audio processing of the PCM waveforms where samples that should have been clipped at the maximum value (0xff) were instead given the minimum value (0x00), and the sudden transition in level results in a clicking/popping sound. Real DOS systems are affected as well as DOSBox and ScummVM; however, it's possible that certain kinds of audio hardware could diminish such noise with filtering.

I made a tiny DOS program that scans through SQ4's audio resource file, locating and repairing 331 incorrectly clipped samples spread across ~1500 waveforms. It won't remove minor clicks or any other sort of audio glitch, but removing the loud clicks is truly a mercy for the ears. Copy RESOURCE.AUD from the CD-ROM to HDD and run the program where the file is located. Modification is done in-place, so nothing beyond the ~160 MB of disk space for the file is needed. The repaired file can be used with the stock game or with the patch made by NRS.

Forum member Keropi was kind enough to test the program on a real system, and he informs me that it takes about half a minute to run on a P55C 233 MHz, so use that for an idea of how long it will take to run on other systems. If running the program in DOSBox, settings of core=dynamic cycles=max are recommended.

Attachments

• Filename
    SQ4depop.zip
    File size
    364 Bytes
    Downloads
    94 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 1 of 6, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

How about a Win32 version? That way I could make it work with my SQ4 installer.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 4 of 6, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author
collector wrote:

The program will run in the NTVDM of Win32, so I suppose the irony is that you'd want a Win32 version to be able to run it in 64-bit Windows. 😵 Anyway, I'd thought about including an IPS patch as an alternate way to apply the changes, but the couple of IPS tools I tried won't work with files larger than 16 MB. However, I think a Windows patching utility that can apply the "difference" to a 160 MB file would suit your purpose quite well, and could be faster than the programmatic method of my DOS program.

NewRisingSun wrote:

May I include it in my patch

You're welcome to, and I imagine it will be more convenient that way for people using your patch.

Reply 5 of 6, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
ripsaw8080 wrote:
collector wrote:

The program will run in the NTVDM of Win32, so I suppose the irony is that you'd want a Win32 version to be able to run it in 64-bit Windows. 😵 Anyway, I'd thought about including an IPS patch as an alternate way to apply the changes, but the couple of IPS tools I tried won't work with files larger than 16 MB. However, I think a Windows patching utility that can apply the "difference" to a 160 MB file would suit your purpose quite well, and could be faster than the programmatic method of my DOS program.

That is certainly possible. I already do it for several of my installers, but I am not sure if there are different versions of the RESOURCE.AUD and a binary difference patch would be version specific. I would need to make a patch for each variant of the file. Almost always when one of my installers fails it is because a user has a version if the game that is different enough from what the installer expects that it cannot find files or cannot be patched. Of course the other way is to have the installer use DOSBox to run your patcher. I guess I'll have to think about what would cause the fewest likely problems for users.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 6 of 6, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
ripsaw8080 wrote:

Anyway, I'd thought about including an IPS patch as an alternate way to apply the changes, but the couple of IPS tools I tried won't work with files larger than 16 MB. However, I think a Windows patching utility that can apply the "difference" to a 160 MB file would suit your purpose quite well, and could be faster than the programmatic method of my DOS program.

xdelta is very popular.