VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by subjugator

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey guys,

Haven't been here in ages, but thought I would share the link to my new website project (Old Classics Reloaded) that may stir some fond memories. The project is a constantly growing online database of various retro game screenshots, audio files and animated GIFs, all filterable and searchable by system, rating, publisher, developer, year, series, tags, etc.

I currently have about 815 games (including around 210 DOS games) on the site, with more being added daily.

Here is the link to the DOS section of the website for your viewing pleasure: http://ocreload.com/listp.php?sysid=17 - would love to hear your feedback on this pet project of mine.

Thanks!

P.S. Here is a screenshot to give you an idea:
scr2.jpg

Check out my website: http://www.ocreload.com
for a huge selection of animated GIFs and screenshots for DOS and other retro game platforms

Reply 1 of 14, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Thank you, it looks fine!

Must have been taken a lot of work and time to arrange things this way.

Saying that, I'm browsing your site right now and there are games I haven't seen before.

I think it's cool that there is also a playback feature for game music.

It adds a lot to the atmosphere.

Good work! 😁

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 2 of 14, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

i'd say add 32x32 icons, official ones if you can find them. and if not, make them

just to make the list look neater and also being an icon resource for those who manage a startmenu/launcher for them 😀

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 3 of 14, by ZanQuance

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Bwahaha the Prince of Persia gif 🤣
[edit]wait...the gif keeps changing around as I page forward and back. Neat! the one I 🤣'ed at was the one with him getting chomped sliced over and over again.

Reply 4 of 14, by subjugator

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for the feedback guys - I've grown the DB since my last post, now it's sitting at 890 entries (though I've been adding mostly NES games so far)

DOS section now contains most of the games I have fond memories of - once I'm done with NES and Atari 2600 sections I will add more DOS (and subsequently old Windows) games

for a huge selection of animated GIFs and screenshots for DOS and other retro game platforms

Reply 8 of 14, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Excellent work! How is each game rating determined? Is that taken from Moby Games, or are they your own ratings?

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 9 of 14, by ripa

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I just stumbled upon this thread. Great idea, great site!

One usability thing: the games have the graphics mode tags at the bottom: (CGA, EGA, etc). E.g., Test Drive animations are in CGA right now. I was expecting to see them in EGA by clicking on the EGA (16c) link at the bottom, but it lists a bunch of games instead.

I think the graphics mode links should switch the game's animation and screenshot to that format instead.

edit: another thing. I can't find how to list all different tags.

Reply 10 of 14, by VileR

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
KainXVIII wrote:
VileRancour wrote:

No, you capture a video and convert that to gif.

With what?

Photoshop does it (Import > Video Frames to Layers, Create Frame Animation) and so does ffmpeg on the command line. There are probably dozens of other tools, even if you disregard all the browser-based ones and meme generators that slap their ugly watermarks on top.

The only issue is that most browsers won't display animated GIFs at the correct speed if the framerate is higher than 50fps or so, which means you'd have to either slow them down or remove frames.

[ WEB ] - [ BLOG ] - [ TUBE ] - [ CODE ]

Reply 12 of 14, by KainXVIII

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
VileRancour wrote:
KainXVIII wrote:
VileRancour wrote:

No, you capture a video and convert that to gif.

With what?

Photoshop does it (Import > Video Frames to Layers, Create Frame Animation) and so does ffmpeg on the command line. There are probably dozens of other tools, even if you disregard all the browser-based ones and meme generators that slap their ugly watermarks on top.

The only issue is that most browsers won't display animated GIFs at the correct speed if the framerate is higher than 50fps or so, which means you'd have to either slow them down or remove frames.

Photoshop is a "little" overkill for me 😵 I use some Easy GIF Animator but it can't process big video files so i prefer creating gifs from images..

Reply 13 of 14, by subjugator

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I just capture DOS video in DosBox with ctr+alt+f5 and use ffmpeg to convert. Here is a batch file that produces the best quality and smallest size GIF, you must use the latest build of FFMPEG:

Usage: Avi2gif.bat "filename" starttime duration
-------------
ffmpeg -ss %2 -t %3 -i %1 -vf "fps=20,scale=-1👎flags=lanczos,palettegen" -y palette.png
ffmpeg -ss %2 -t %3 -i %1 -i palette.png -lavfi "fps=20,scale=-1👎flags=lanczos [x]; [x][1:v] paletteuse" -y "%~n1.gif"
del palette.png
rem To do unscaled extraction use -1:-1 for scale
rem to Set start and finish seconds use -ss [start sec] -t [number of secs] before the -i parameter

Reply 14 of 14, by KainXVIII

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
subjugator wrote:
I just capture DOS video in DosBox with ctr+alt+f5 and use ffmpeg to convert. Here is a batch file that produces the best qualit […]
Show full quote

I just capture DOS video in DosBox with ctr+alt+f5 and use ffmpeg to convert. Here is a batch file that produces the best quality and smallest size GIF, you must use the latest build of FFMPEG:

Usage: Avi2gif.bat "filename" starttime duration
-------------
ffmpeg -ss %2 -t %3 -i %1 -vf "fps=20,scale=-1👎flags=lanczos,palettegen" -y palette.png
ffmpeg -ss %2 -t %3 -i %1 -i palette.png -lavfi "fps=20,scale=-1👎flags=lanczos [x]; [x][1:v] paletteuse" -y "%~n1.gif"
del palette.png
rem To do unscaled extraction use -1:-1 for scale
rem to Set start and finish seconds use -ss [start sec] -t [number of secs] before the -i parameter

Thanks!