VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by galneon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Oh my God, all of a sudden I can't modify or delete DOS exes on either of my computers on the network. I've virus scanned, nothing found. Everytime I try to rename or delete ANY DOS app ANYWHERE on the hdds, I get "in use by another process or user". I really want to play Tomb Raider but I can't replace the .exe with the Glidos version!

This is insanity. I'm not new to computers, I know what I'm doing. All permissions are set. Is this something new that Norton AV doesn't even know about yet?

Reply 1 of 10, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Can you create a temporary folder (e.g. on the desktop), and drag the troublesome EXE's to that folder? If so, then you delete them after a reboot (I hope).

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 7 of 10, by galneon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Wow, must have been the Securom. I uninstalled a Securom game the other day, the same day I magically regained control. I didn't think twice about it but it appears Securom was the problem... How annoying. Thanks for putting my curiousity to rest.

Reply 8 of 10, by Jiri

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
galneon wrote:

Securom was the problem... How annoying.

Yes, these stupid copy protections schemes cause many troubles. I recently found out, that my copy of Discworld Noir works fine in XP, but only with a crack. It does not work without it because of copy protection. Of course, there is no official patch from the people who sold me that product. After these bad experiences I'm not interested just in the quality, but also in a type of copy protection scheme used before I decide buying any game.

Reply 9 of 10, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

I came across this little shell extension - looks promising:

What is WhoLockMe ? (http://www.dr-hoiby.com/WhoLockMe/)

Have you ever bored by this Windows message : "Error Deleting File or Folder, ... There has been a sharing violation. The source or destination file may be in use.", when you try to delete, move or rename a file ?

WhoLockMe is a little extension for your Microsoft Explorer. It permeets you to list all the process locking your selected file.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 10 of 10, by uzersk

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm habing the exact same problems but unfortunately I haven't been able to fix mine. According to the thread linked in the post above I was supposed to run "regsvr32 cmdlineext0X.dll" with X being 2 or 3 (apparently). In any case I tried all variants (2, 3 and X) and search for the dll files as well but to no result. I'm using Windows XP with 512 MB RAM.

I downloaded the dos4gw exe files from here:
showthread.php?threadid=118&perpage=20&highli … 97&pagenumber=3.

I am trying to get System Shock to run as per the FAQ here:
http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=69578

Please help as soon as possible. Thanks,
Uzer