VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Braca862

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I recently purchased the Microsoft Sidewinder Precision Pro joystick, which is ideal for flight and space shooters games. I was able to get the joystick working in Descent 2, since I have the Windows version. However Descent 1 only came out for DOS, and from what I read, there never was a Windows version of Descent 1. I actually play the game through a DOS box, not in pure DOS. In the joystick options in Descent, I tried selecting the thrustmaster option and the controls were akward. Customizing didn't help, since it does not detect most of the sidewinder's controls. Is there any patch for this? Are there any unofficial sidewinder drivers for DOS?

Reply 1 of 3, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Bear in mind that practically all DOS games only functions properly via the use of an analog joystick.

The Sidewinder Precision Pro was only designed to be used under Windows (it is a digital joystick) and there are no official DOS drivers.
Unlike the Sidewinder 3D Pro (which is also a digital joystick), it doesn't have an analog emulation mode to fall back on under DOS.

You might get the basic functions via a DOS box, but you're likely to run into problems.
So, unless your DOS game specifically supports a digital joystick, I'm afraid you're out of luck (MechWarrior 2 was one of few DOS games that supported the Sidewinder 3D Pro's digital functions).

Reply 2 of 3, by skitters

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Braca862 wrote:

Customizing didn't help, since it does not detect most of the sidewinder's controls. Is there any patch for this?

You didn't mention which version of Windows you're using.
Is there any utility that can remap joystick controls for your version of Windows?
If so, maybe you could map the joystick controls to something the game could detect.
That's assuming your version of Windows can detect all your joystick's axes and buttons outside of the game.

Reply 3 of 3, by Braca862

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Sorry. I'm using Windows 98. And the joystick did come with a CD that installs the drivers and a software that allows to assign controls to certain games, including Descent 2 and Hellbender.