VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by beastlike

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Does anyone know if the original Quake had additional graphics settings like antialiasing / anisotropic filtering?

Depending on the machine, I'm able to get pretty decent resolutions - 800x600 on my p4 rig, 512x400 (or something like that) on my MMX rig, but there's not much in the ways of shadows or detail.

I think back in the day I was lucky to get it running at 320x240 on my 586 at the time 🤣.

Reply 1 of 3, by Scali

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
beastlike wrote:

Does anyone know if the original Quake had additional graphics settings like antialiasing / anisotropic filtering?

No it didn't.
You could only select the screen resolution iirc.
Antialiasing/anisotropic filtering are stupid expensive in software.

http://scalibq.wordpress.com/just-keeping-it- … ro-programming/

Reply 2 of 3, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

To be fair though, VQuake (Quake for the rendition hardware) did jam in edge antialiasing. Not quite the real deal as later cards but it's something in relation to the original quake releases.

Anisotropic filtering didn't really show up widely supported until the early 2000s so it's guaranteed to not be a shred of thought in Carmack's mind in 95 while the engine was going through its development. You'll only find this feature in some community GL-accelerated source ports (such as Quake's Pasm and Darkplace)

The only real graphics increase you can do in the original Quake is d_mipscale, in which you can set it to 0 to watch the poor surfacecache get flooded no mercy as you enjoy sharp, pixel popping textures in the distance

I also wrote a software sourceport which takes this further but it sucks. try it at you are own risk

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 3 of 3, by Marek

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

When Quake was first released, it was software render only. The GL version came a little later for Windows, iIrc.
Like most software renderer, it had no filters at all. It did mipmapping, though, reducing moires.

DOS-PC: DFI k6bv3+, Pentium 200mmx, 64 MB RAM, Terratec Maestro 32 sound card, Roland MT-32 + SC-155, Winner 2000 AVI 2MB, Voodoo 1, Win98SE
Windows PC: GigaByte GA-MA790GPT, Phenom II X4 905e, 12 GB RAM, M-Audio Delta 44, NVidia 1060 6 GB, Win7 pro x64