VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by syndicator

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I did a clean install of windows 98 plus the drivers No extra service packs..The video card is 6800GT and the sound card is a MX300 aureal 2. The game plays fine for the most part but once i go to some areas like the bathroom in the first level the frames drop to 20 or so..I got the screen at 800x600 and Music set to General midi and sound FX set to soundblaster. I got no sound fonts loaded. Even in Pure dos with the Ms dos legacy sound drivers its still laggy. Any help would be appreciated

Reply 3 of 6, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

the mirror shouldn't be the problem as Build renders it like an extra room with extra sprites and there's similar "portals" all over the game that provide connectivity within levels. If there's anything that should give Duke3D a performance dip on that hardware, it's any translucency effect in a high resolution mode at a close up, as that may require expensive reads from video memory to write blended pixels.

Also i'm not certain if a Geforce6600 has any VESA 2.0 VBE extensions because that could also play a part for performance, and since that's way out of the timeline of Scitech's software, UniVBE/SDD can't help you there.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 6 of 6, by Stretch

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Use Fastvid under MS-DOS which will speed up your video performance. Fastvid makes the computer in my signature run Duke3d much better.

Win 11 - Intel i7-1360p - 32 GB - Intel Iris Xe - Sound BlasterX G5