VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Chaniyth

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi all, I have recently aquired a complete boxed F-15 Strike Eagle III for a mere $1.50 so I was thrilled and brought it home installed it on my 486 PC but it freezes on the screen with the guy standing over a map in the hangar (start of the game). As soon as the mouse moves it does a hard system lock-up.

I've tried running the game with and without serial 2 and parallel port, tried it with and without internal and external cache, tried it in write-back and write-thru mode, even tried it without any sound support enabled and nothing just always freezes in the same spot as soon as the mouse moves.

System specs are, AMD Am5x86-P75 133Mhz 486 CPU, ASUS PVI-486SP3 with latest BIOS, Jaton VL41C/V2 (S3 805) 1MB, Vesa Local Bus (VLB) graphics card, Sound Blaster Pro 2.0 (CT1600), 16MB system RAM, 256kb cache RAM and official Microsoft serial mouse.

Any help and/or advice is most needed and appreciated. Thanks in advance. 😎

All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a Thousand Enemies, and when they catch you, they will kill you... but first they must catch you. 😁

Reply 2 of 3, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Does the game run without a mouse? Are there keyboard equivalents that you could try to see if the game locks up without a mouse connected at all?

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 3 of 3, by schlang

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have the same board in my 486 and I can confirm that I had other games freezing with the original mouse drivers. Using cutemouse since then without encountering this issue again

PC#1: K6-III+ 400 | 512MB | Geforce4 | Voodoo1 | SB Live | AWE64 | GUS PNP Pro
PC#2: 486DX2-66 | 64MB | Riva128 | AWE64 | GUS PNP | PAS16
PC#3: 386DX-40 | 32MB | CL-GD5434 | SB Pro | GUS MAX | PAS16

Think you know your games music? Show us: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=37532