VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Robhalfordfan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi guys I am trying to play Pharoh's Tomb on my Pentium 1 dos machine and managed to get working with slow down software and wondering why some of text is garbled and if there is a fix and try differnet versions and same thing and also try it in dosbox and there are no issues

1st pic - what is in game folder (moslo.com is the slow down software)

2nd pic - what I type in to start game with moslo

3rd pic - the main game screen (looks normal)

4th pic - the first level and the text/info at bottom of screen I'd garbled

5th pic - what the text looks like when I quit the game

Last pic - the text on screen looks like when I try to configure a joystick

Attachments

Last edited by Robhalfordfan on 2016-11-27, 23:10. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 2 of 16, by Robhalfordfan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

here is pic of my config.sys file and autoexec.bat file

Attachments

• DSC_0735.JPG
    Filename
    DSC_0735.JPG
    File size
    2.8 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • DSC_0734.JPG
    Filename
    DSC_0734.JPG
    File size
    2.73 MiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 3 of 16, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

So the answer is "yes".

Comment out the MODE lines in your autoexec.bat (just put a semicolon at the start of the line), as well as the COUNTRY line in your config.sys. That ought to fix it.

Reply 5 of 16, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Are you running Windows while you are trying to run the game? If so, then you should exit windows (or "restart in MS-DOS mode").

If all else fails, you can try changing the MODE and COUNTRY lines to match US English. I do not use these commands very often, but there is ample documentation for them online.

Reply 6 of 16, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

make these changes:

CONFIG.SYS
;COUNTRY=044 etc etc
;DEVICEHIGH /L:1,15792 =C:\DOS\DISPLAY.SYS etc etc

AUTOEXEC.BAT
put REM at the begining of the last 3 lines

reboot and report back

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 7 of 16, by Robhalfordfan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

no I not using windows when playing the this, I am using dos 6.22

and those change with the ; at start of the lines in config.sys and rem at start of lines in autoexec.bat has fixed and worked

thanks for help 😀

what different did that do out of curiosity and would that affect anything else like other games or windows 3.11

Reply 8 of 16, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Those devices/programs manipulate display characters and any program using standard fonts will display them wrong. Like this game.

I'm glad solution was found 😀

Requests are also possible... /msg kixs

Reply 9 of 16, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Is a semicolon not the same as REM in a batch file? I guess it's been too long.

The changes might affect word processors or other productivity programs. If you are only running games, you probably have nothing to worry about.

Last edited by Jorpho on 2016-11-24, 20:42. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 10 of 16, by Robhalfordfan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

ok didn't know that, I am new to dos since I grew up from the tail end of window 95 era and into windows 98 onwards

Last edited by Robhalfordfan on 2016-11-24, 20:43. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 12 of 16, by VileR

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Robhalfordfan wrote:

what different did that do out of curiosity and would that affect anything else like other games or windows 3.11

The following technical explanation is courtesy of Mr. Halford himself:

The sinner here is DISPLAY.SYS, which (in your case) reuses the upper half of the ASCII table for the UK regional code-page. The modified characters don't go away even in graphics mode, since it acts like a watchful sentinel and re-instates this codepage whenever there's an INT 10 video mode change. So you're basically locked in to a different 8x8 system font.

Now, Pharaoh's Tomb is being a bit of a cheater in how it displays stuff - it messes with the same extended ASCII table to get its different fonts (plus various little bits of graphics). That's why you were getting a raw deal there: all looks good on the main menu, but you've got another thing coming - it resets the video mode as soon as you start a game. That's when the never-satisfied DISPLAY.SYS goes running wild, and sets the font right back.

So the way this game does things is just a bit reckless, even if it isn't really breaking the law; it was simply designed in the US, without considering that some international users may be left out in the cold. So to answer your question, yes, any other game that uses this method could be a victim of changes. That's pretty rare however, so most run of the mill games/software won't be affected.

...hey, don't shoot the messenger. 😁

[ WEB ] - [ BLOG ] - [ TUBE ] - [ CODE ]

Reply 14 of 16, by VileR

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

"Random funny thing" corner:

I wanted to verify that I wasn't just talking out of my ass up there, so I had a look at what exactly the game was doing... and this is the data that is referenced by the 8x8 font pointer (while on the main menu):

ptomblol.png
Filename
ptomblol.png
File size
3.66 KiB
Views
File license

Made me kinda curious about what "Donald L. Pavia" has to do with Pharaoh's Tomb, and why his address is in there, so I looked around a little bit. And sure enough, at least that one font is directly ripped from a 1986 release "Alphabet Games", part of a "Kidgames" compilation by Donald L. Pavia. Or possibly from something else by the same author (with the same font)... smooth move, George Broussa(r)d. 🤣

[ WEB ] - [ BLOG ] - [ TUBE ] - [ CODE ]

Reply 16 of 16, by Robhalfordfan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

and I found out that only the to put the ; infront is display.sys line in config.sys and it works

trying to make bat file that does that automatically does that when game loads and automatically removes the ; when games exits

dos 6.22 - bat file help