Terminator Resets Machine

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 28, by bjt

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Great Hierophant wrote:

I think this subforum should be maintained for individuals struggling to get games working outside of emulation like DOSBox and PCem.

This, or if not at least change the DOS forum description to make it clear that it's for modern hardware only!

Reply 21 of 28, by Silanda

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
bjt wrote:
Great Hierophant wrote:

I think this subforum should be maintained for individuals struggling to get games working outside of emulation like DOSBox and PCem.

This, or if not at least change the DOS forum description to make it clear that it's for modern hardware only!

We'd need a definition of modern too. Windows XP is a 15 year old OS, and I wouldn't call any CPU architecture before Nehalem modern. At 8 years old, you could argue that even including that is somewhat generous.

Reply 22 of 28, by NeoVamp

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Q : Hey I'm trying to run *DOS GAME* on my windows/linux/mac pc and it doesn't run, help!
A : Use DOSBOX.

Q : Hey I'm trying to run *DOS GAME* on my dedicated DOS pc and the game doesn't run, help!
A : We'd need exact specs as to determine whether or not you are allowed to ask this question here, is your pc older than 7.53324 years? then you're a dirty retro hardware user, off to Marvin with you!

Q : Hey I'm trying to run *DOS GAME* on my super duper fast 2016 pc that I just bought in the store and formatted just so I could put DOS 6.22 on it and the game doesn't run.
A : WELCOME TO THE RIGHT THREAD!

Pentium 1 - 233MHZ MMX / 96MB / Soundblaster AWE32 / MT-32 / SC-55 / SB-55
Diamond Stealth 64 / Diamond Monster 3D (4MB) / Dos 7.1 / 120GB IDE HDD

Reply 23 of 28, by Ampera

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I agree. I was thrown quite hard with this. I honestly missed the Marvin section when I was new, so I posted here with my hardware issue, my mistake tbh there, but that's stupid is this doesn't say DOS games on modern systems, this just says DOS games, no DOSBox, likewise Marvin says Hardware, and nothing about software.

While x64 machines can still run all the DOS stuff, and dualbooting is possible, I've never seen someone dual boot windows 7/8/10 and a DOS.

Reply 24 of 28, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

We know. However, the sites name is VOGONS (Very Old Games on New Systems). It's original purpose was making newer operating systems compatible. Marvin just kind-of got added on over time when retro hardware got more popular. The labeling is from that earlier time.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 25 of 28, by Silanda

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
gdjacobs wrote:

We know. However, the sites name is VOGONS (Very Old Games on New Systems). It's original purpose was making newer operating systems compatible. Marvin just kind-of got added on over time when retro hardware got more popular. The labeling is from that earlier time.

Then surely it should either be changed or taken literally, so that people aren't required to know unwritten rules from over a decade ago. I'm sorry, but I just don't understand the resistance from some to embracing the fact that this site, and this section in particular, have outgrown their original purposes. The idea that questions about running DOS programs are fine in this section, provided people adopt a "don't ask, don't tell" policy with regards to the hardware they're using, seems ludicrous.

This site is an excellent resource, but I can't see how having boards with unwritten purposes/rules, or multiple boards with potentially overlapping topics (if questions about running DOS on virtual machines are allowed in this section as well as PC Emulation, for example), are supposed to help anyone.

Reply 26 of 28, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

While I personally agree with you, I'm not someone that can make it happen! I just wanted to give you a heads up.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder