VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by janskjaer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

When running Carmageddon under MS-DOS 6.22, I noticed that most of the vocal sound effects are not working. Typical sound effects such as engine, crash damage, police sirens and ped screams all seem to work fine but the announcer and driver vocals are not there. I suspected this was because there is an error when Carmageddon tries to load files with special characters (!) in them under MS-DOS 6.22. When quitting the game, the error can be seen:

Sound bank file:  couldn't load `..\CARMA\DATA\SOUND\GO!.WAV`

Looking for this file in DATA\SOUND, I could only find GO.WAV. Renaming GO.WAV to GO!.WAV fixed the announcer problems and I now hear "3, 2, 1, GO" and "Race completed" but still no vocals from the driver. When quitting the game, I noticed that now another file couldn't be loaded:

Sound bank file:  couldn't load `..\CARMA\DATA\SOUND\HEY!.WAV`

Renaming that wasn't enough. Upon quitting a third time:

Sound bank file:  couldn't load `..\CARMA\DATA\SOUND\BOING!.WAV`

which was interestingly named BOI_0010.WAV.

After renaming the above 3, all vocal sounds worked and no more errors were reported after quitting the game. I just wish it could've told me about all 3 at once, rather than having to diagnose each one after another.

Naming convention under MS-DOS?
When I check the same files on the CD under MS-DOS, they are also missing the exclamation marks in the filenames there too. This would explain the reason why they got copied across the way they did during installation. However, when inserting the CD into my Macbook, the filenames look correct and I can see the exclamation marks.
Is something wrong with displaying special characters in filenames under MS-DOS 6.22? But how can that be if I was able to successfully rename them with special characters in order for the game to recognise them and produce the vocals?

DELL Dimension XPS M200s
:Intel P1 MMX 200MHz
:64MB EDO
:DOS 6.22/Win95b
:Matrox Millenium II + m3D (PowerVR PCX2)
Chaintech 7VJL Apogee
:AMD AthlonXP 2700+
:512MB DDR
:Win98SE/2000 SP4
:3dfx Voodoo5 5500 AGP

Reply 1 of 1, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I believe this comes down to a matter of Joliet vs ISO9660 filenames.

If you examine the CD using ISO Buster, you should be able to browse both filesystems and compare the names to one another.

As for why this happened, I suppose that's a matter of how you copied the files from the CD to your hard drive.