VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Rackatack

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello,

I'm not sure I4m posting this to the right place, but I'm having a weird issue.
I have a soundblaster awe32 (CT3980) and I'm having issues with midi. The volume of the midi is way to low when I select general midi, it seems muted.
When selecting AWE32 everything works fine.
I have no conflicts with IRQ, DMA, ...
The settings are fine with the mixer
I tried with or without midi daughterboard (Dreamblaster X2 prototype that sounds amazing by the way)
When I try to play any monkey island games, the sound is distorted I tried starting the game and forcing the soundblaster.
But, when I launch the same games in Win98, everything works fine general midi and awe32

Any ideas?

Last edited by Rackatack on 2016-11-27, 20:55. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 3 of 4, by NewRisingSun

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This forum is for DOS games on modern systems.

That does not come out of the forum's description "Getting old DOS games working" at all. In fact, the description is then utterly misleading. Marvin's description "Discussion about old PC hardware and Retro PCs" likewise suggests random general banter rather than a place for specific advice on how to get games working on retro hardware.

Given the frequency of questions about getting old DOS games working on retro hardware in this forum, I suggest either clarifying the forum's description, or accepting such questions in this forum as well.

Reply 4 of 4, by Rackatack

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
NewRisingSun wrote:

This forum is for DOS games on modern systems.

That does not come out of the forum's description "Getting old DOS games working" at all. In fact, the description is then utterly misleading. Marvin's description "Discussion about old PC hardware and Retro PCs" likewise suggests random general banter rather than a place for specific advice on how to get games working on retro hardware.

Given the frequency of questions about getting old DOS games working on retro hardware in this forum, I suggest either clarifying the forum's description, or accepting such questions in this forum as well.

Even then, I had to pay attention, because "getting old dos games working" isn't the same as "muted/no sound in dos games" 😜