VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Constitution

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I just got a copy of Alien Legacy and after I install it it asks for the cd to run. This is the message I get:
Place the Alien Legacy CD in the CD-ROM drive. If you cannot locate the appropriate CD, type [Escape] to exit to DOS. Otherwise, type any other key to continue.
When I press a key to continue it gives me the same message again and again. Has anyone else had this problem? I have read the readme file and it says nothing about this. My rig specs are:
Pentium 133
64megs ram
2.1 gig hd
40x cd drive
Ess AudioDrive 1688
DOS 6.0
QEMM97 Memory Manager

My config.sys looks like this:
BUFFERS=30,0
FILES=40
DOS=HIGH,UMB
LASTDRIVE=Z
FCBS=4,0
STACKS=9,256
device=c:\qemm\dosdata.sys
DEVICE=C:\QEMM\QEMM386.SYS RAM SH:N R:1
device=c:\qemm\dos-up.sys @c:\qemm\dos-up.dat
DEVICE=C:\QEMM\LOADHI.SYS /R:1 /SIZE=11520 C:\QEMM\QDPMI.SYS SWAPFILE=DPMI.SWP SWAPSIZE=1024
DEVICE=C:\QEMM\LOADHI.SYS /R:1 /SIZE=11488 C:\CDPRO\VIDE-CDD.SYS /D:MSCD001 /P:1F0,14 /P:170,15 /P:1E8,12 /P:168,10

My autoexec.bat file looks like this:
C:\WINDOWS\ESSCFG.EXE /A:220 /I:5 /D:1 /B:300 /M:E
C:\WINDOWS\ESSVOL.EXE /V:8 /L:8 /W:8 /M:0 /C:8 /S:8 /A:8
C:\QEMM\LOADHI /R:2 MSCDEX /D:MSCD001 /V
C:\QEMM\LOADHI /R:2 /RES=17328 /SQF C:\WINDOWS\mouse.COM /Y

Any help would be appreciated. 😵

Edit: The switches on the line with the cd set the port, irq and others it needs to run. Also I tried altering how the drive letter was set up and the same problem occures. The letters the drive was on were d & e at two different times. I also tried installing it on a machine with DosBox but it gave me an error about could not open a config type file.

Last edited by Constitution on 2004-05-01, 13:02. Edited 3 times in total.

Reply 2 of 4, by DoomGaZer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I would suggest one of two things. Investigate what all those switches on your CD-ROM device do (presumeably they're from QEMM but I don't know for sure). Or, try and remove QEMM altogether. Your system files are not cluttered in the least. In fact, I think the only things you are loading are your CD-ROM driver and your sound card drivers. That's pretty bare minimum so you probably don't need QEMM (it killed a number of my games back in the day). I own Alien Legacy as well so I may try and whip it back out and install it on my old DOS machine just to be sure.

EDIT: you could also try and play it in dosbox on a new machine. I mean hey, they don't call it VOGONS for nothing. 😉

Reply 3 of 4, by rgriff

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I don't know if this helps, but I ran into a similar problem with Tekwar. It installed ok, but when run...after the intro I'd get a "can't find cd..." error. It turns out the game doesn't like high letters for the cd drive (mine is y). I was using DOSBox to play the game, so I tried mounting my cd drive y as d ... and it worked.

Reply 4 of 4, by Petter1979

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

My settings for my cdrom drive only got these lines:

Config.sys

DEVICEHIGH /L:2 =C:\DOSDRV\DRV\VIDE-CDD.SYS /D:MSCD000

Autoexec.bat

LH /L:2 C:\DOSDRV\DRV\MSCDEX /D:MSCD000 /M:15 /E /S /L:D /V

this works with my old toshiba 2x or 4x cdrom drive. But seems like you are using a diffrent memory manager than me. :(

Made old dos computer, Pentium-S 133Mhz, Sound blaster awe64 value ISA soundcard, toshiba cdrom drive, logitech mouse, made custom config.sys autoexec.bat