VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Quoth

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Alright then, say if I was to reformat, partition my drive and install DOS 6.22 along side Windows XP Pro and ran the games from the DOS partition. Would there be any old Sierra or Lucasarts adventure games that wouldn't run in straight DOS? What are the chances of there being sound issues, say with a Audigy Gamer? And is 6.22 the latest DOS?

Reply 1 of 9, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You won't be able to get sound in DOS 6 with the Audigy. I don't even know if you can get sound in a DOS shell with an Audigy. I'm not sure about that one, though. I uploaded an installer for SBLive!'s "DOSDRV" utility a while back, so you could always try that. If all else fails, install an old copy of Windows 95/98. That will work for sure. DOS 7.1 is the latest DOS, but it comes only with Windows 98. DOS 6.3 is the latest pure DOS.

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 2 of 9, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The Audigy does have a DOS driver. It comes on the Audigy CD.

It emulates:
SB 16 emulation
MIDI
Adlib

Was playing around with it tonight in fact...

UNFORTUNATELY

It requires EMM386. Yes, REQUIRES. So DOS4GW games that do not like EMM386 will in most cases not run AT ALL. Still for all other non-memory manager games it should work fine...

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 3 of 9, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

There are DOS/4GW games that don't like EMM386? Like what? That's wild.

Speaking of DOS/4GW games, where is my stupid CDROM letter supposed to go for Duke Nukem 3D? Huh? HUH? 😉

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 4 of 9, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Quoth wrote:

Would there be any old Sierra or Lucasarts adventure games that wouldn't run in straight DOS?

There are still potential issues with processor speed, drive size, etc.. But you would still be in a better position to than in just XP alone.

...is 6.22 the latest DOS?

v6.22 was the last Microsoft DOS product. Windows 95, 98, and ME have an updated variation of DOS built-in to them.

There are also other variations of DOS, like PC-DOS (last version of that was 2000, I believe).

Reply 7 of 9, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Snover wrote:

I thought that there was a 6.3..? Am I going completely insane?

What do you mean going? Erm..Never mind.
DOS 6.22 was the last official release. There may have been bug-fixes and maybe someone called that v6.3, but I'm certain 6.22 was it.

Reply 9 of 9, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Snover wrote:

I like to think that I'm not completely insane...

Oh certainly not. I can certify that there are, at the very least, numerous particles of sanity about you.

Just remember, it's not journey that matters; it's the slaying of all who dare oppose you along the way.

Ooo. Wait. That doesn't seem right.