VOGONS

Common searches

RAM question

Topic actions

First post, by McDos

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Is there a way to get DOS (FreeDOS 1.2) to recognise more than 64MB of conventional memory? I have DOS, devices and drivers loaded HIGH but am still lacking enough conventional memory to play some games. My PC has 1GB of RAM installed.

Reply 1 of 6, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
McDos wrote:

64MB of conventional memory?

Conventional memory by definition is limited to 640k. Period.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conventional_memory

I have DOS, devices and drivers loaded HIGH but am still lacking enough conventional memory to play some games.

Then you're going to have to make adjustments to your configuration some other way. Perhaps some of your drivers are unnecessary, or perhaps some of them are not actually being loaded HIGH. You'll have to post your autoexec.bat and config.sys, and probably the output of "mem /c", if you want more help.

My PC has 1GB of RAM installed.

Nothing in DOS will ever require that much RAM, nor does having 1 GB of RAM have anything to do with getting more conventional memory.

Reply 2 of 6, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Just to add to the previous post, the order in which you load your device drivers can also make a huge difference.
Load those device drivers, that take up the most memory, first into the upper memory area and then load the ones that take up less memory.

I'm not familiar with FreeDOS' inner workings, but under MS-DOS, you require an expanded memory driver (like EMM386.EXE) in order to load your device drivers into the upper memory blocks (UMB).

Reply 3 of 6, by Jepael

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
McDos wrote:

Is there a way to get DOS (FreeDOS 1.2) to recognise more than 64MB of conventional memory? I have DOS, devices and drivers loaded HIGH but am still lacking enough conventional memory to play some games. My PC has 1GB of RAM installed.

No, nothing supports more than 64MB of extended memory and even if it did it still does not free any conventional memory.
If there is not enough conventional memory, do not load drivers that are not needed at all.
What does "MEM /C /P" tell you?

Reply 5 of 6, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Errius wrote:

"No computer will ever need more than 640K of RAM." - Bill Gates, c. 1980

It is widely disputed whether he actually said that.
http://www.computerworld.com/article/2534312/ … ly-say-it-.html

Reply 6 of 6, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Jorpho wrote:

Machines with CGA cards can actually have ~736KB of "DOS" memory (didn't OS/2 offer such a VM setting ?).
Without graphics card and by using a Terminal, over 900KB! Lot's of memory for Lotus 1-2-3 (before EMS was born). 😁

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//