"Miles" Sound Updates

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 22, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Kordanor wrote on 2024-01-31, 18:12:

But the issue is, that the new setsound.exe does not update the sound.cfg of the game. So when I start the game, it will still use whatever was saved there. I guess it will use the other new files now. But unfortunately it makes no difference in how it sounds. That is true for both setups.
You got any suggestion here on what I did wrong?

Can you revert the files back to the original versions, then only update the two SoundBlaster DIG files with the newer ones supplied here?

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul

Reply 21 of 22, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
gerwin wrote on 2004-05-07, 19:32:

NEW STYLE DRIVERS (taken from Theme Hospital) Version: 25 march 1997 audiodrv=adrv688

I'm not 100% certain, but I think the Miles drivers from Heroes of Might and Magic 2: Price of Loyalty expansion + latest official DOS patch are newer than this. From what I can tell, Price of Loyalty shipped on May 27th 1997 and subsequent patches may have introduced further sound driver updates.

At the very least, they have an AUDIODRV.DIG file which properly works with ESS 1868 cards.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 22 of 22, by Kordanor

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
gerwin wrote on 2024-02-01, 20:47:
Kordanor wrote on 2024-01-31, 18:12:

But the issue is, that the new setsound.exe does not update the sound.cfg of the game. So when I start the game, it will still use whatever was saved there. I guess it will use the other new files now. But unfortunately it makes no difference in how it sounds. That is true for both setups.
You got any suggestion here on what I did wrong?

Can you revert the files back to the original versions, then only update the two SoundBlaster DIG files with the newer ones supplied here?

I checked the "newest" with SB SBPro and SB16 on my SB Live as well as the "New" with SB16.
Unfortunately not working. With "New" I "only" have the issue with every second sound played in the game. (so first sentence is garbled, next is fine, next is garbled, button press is fine, next button press is garbled....)
So it's still unusable basically. Luckily my ESS sound issue (other sound card, same game, but DOS) had already been resolved (by manually loading the ESS file), so I will just use the game with that soundcard. Still a shame, that the SB Live doesnt work.