VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by TheCoach

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I can run the game fine trough dosbox on my main pc but if I try to run it on my Pentium 2 it instantly closes on windows 95 and in DOS I just get a black screen with a mouse cursor and have to reboot to get out of it.

The videocard is S3 Virge 325,
soundcard is CT4810,
cpu is P2 MMX 333mhz Slot1,
256mb of ram

Reply 1 of 6, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

There are far too many possibilities here given the limited information.

This thread suggests you might need a patch.
Re: Need help with patching Warlords 2 Deluxe

Another Google search suggests you may need EMS in Windows 95.
http://www.heeter.net/warlords/demos_and_patc … cientEMSfix.txt

I assume when you run the game in Windows 95 that you're just double-clicking the .exe. What if you open an MS-DOS prompt in Windows 95 and try to run the game from there? Do you get some kind of error message?

It is quite possible that 256 MB of RAM is too much for the game; DOSBox has a much smaller limit by default. You can try restricting the amount of RAM to 64 MB (or less) by using HIMEMX, or alternatively setting up a 200 MB RAM disk with xmsdisk or a similar utility.

Reply 2 of 6, by TheCoach

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The patch did help, ram was not an issue it seems.
Man this games intro is BOSS, there's something about it that really makes it feel grander than what it is.
I can't seem to figure out how to run it with CD music though, the tracks on the disk are amazing and I really want them in the game.

Reply 5 of 6, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It may be trying to play the tracks from the wrong drive. Do you have multiple optical drives? Are you running Daemon Tools or some other virtual-drive software?

Reply 6 of 6, by TheCoach

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

No, a single D drive and the game plays the Midis that it has instead of the CD music, there doesn't seem to be an option in the installer or ingame to set music to cd audio, although the exact same tracks are present on the CD.