VOGONS

Common searches

Anyone got these DOS games working in Windows XP?

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

By using XP alone, with VDMSound or using DOSBox instead? My findings are as follows:

NASCAR 2 (Papyrus/Sierra) - doesn't do much in XP, DOSBox works but sloooow

Network Q RAC Rally (Pixelcraft/Europress - not the Magnetic Fields game) - runs too fast when you drive into scenery (you can complete a stage in 6 seconds!), in DOSBox won't work

Buck Rogers - Planet of Zoom - too fast in XP, in DOSBox controls don't work (left/right) unless I'm missing something

Frogger (Flopper) - wondering if this can be made to work somehow by faking an A: drive?

Power F1 - can won't move off the line in XP/VDMS, in DOSBox too slow.

Scorcher - very weird judder in the graphics (like a v-sync error)

Screamer, Screamer2, Screamer Rally - crash regularly in-game

Speed Haste - won't go past intro anims in XP/VDMS, won't work in DOSBox

Top Gun - Fire At Will! - no joystick control in XP/VDMS, works in DOSBox but waaaay too slow!

World Rally Fever - demo CAN be made to work in DOSBox and is very playable but full game DEMANDS MSCDEX 2.1 in both XP and DOSBox and won't work (if anyone knows of a hacked version that doesn't check MSCDEX that'd be interesting!)

World Wide Rally - runs way too fast in XP and too slow in DOSBox.

Wipeout - doesn't really work in XP or DOSBox.

Anyone got any advice? If any replies involve DOSBox rather than XP, they should be put in the DOSBox forum and then be linked from here really though...

Ice

Reply 1 of 8, by Obi Wan 123

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hmm... I see several things I could help you with,
my friend..... Well, with Nascar 2, to make it faster in
DosBox, hold ctrl+f12 a few times(one tap causes dosbox to increase a little in speed) This speed is limited by how fast your comp. is, and also by the percentage of CPU being used(under taskmanager)
To get frogger working from the A: drive(assuming that is the floppy) You use Z:>\ mount c a:\ to switch
to floppy and run the game from there as you would usu. do.

Reply 3 of 8, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

um, I'm still here 😀

I know about the cycles thing, it's more the fact that the slower games (NASCAR2 and Top Gun) both use high resolution (maybe VESA) which is slow to emulate currently.

I may play with the floppy drive thing further. The thing is Flopper is intended to be run on a floppy disk which is used to boot the computer so running it on a fake A: drive seems tricky. But I haven't tried THAT hard yet!

Ice

Reply 6 of 8, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

hmm interesting, might be worth a shot as the old Microsoft Flight Simulator 2 is also on Flopper.

The games I'd still like to see working in DOSBox currently are:

Network Q RAC Rally - locks up DOXBox after the intro video/anim.

Wipeout - video plays then there's an error and DOSBox closes. In XP you can get to the menus but they run at lightspeed then the game crashes starting a race!

World Rally Fever - the demo plays fine in DOSBos and is great fun, however the full game always demands MSCDEX 2.1, even if I try sapucdex through DOSBox or even using sapucdex through XP's DOS command line window. Damn I wish I had a copy of a hacked exe that didn't check for MSCDEX 2.1 - I'm confident the game would work! This issue is expanded on here: Games that require MSCDEX exe driver...

Also Buck Rogers is an interesting case as the direction keys in the game don't respond. A VERY old CGA game at most abandonware sites.

The other cool thing would be if the high-res SVGA modes could be sped up somehow. Though I assume that's not exactly simple to do!

Also QBix, where does your avatar come from?!

Ice

Reply 7 of 8, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I got World Rally Fever running using a combination of some hacked files and DOSBox: World Rally Fever works on WinXP if you do this...

Wipeout DOES work in Windows XP SOMETIMES. It won't work in DOSBox (unhandled instruction or something) but will work in regular XP or VDMSound... after a while. When you first try to start the game it will regularly crash.

If you then start repeatedly booting Wipeout from XP, VDMSound, cmd, command.com it eventually works (but only if you click through the menus quickly!). After you manage to start a game it will then work fine in any system (except DOSBox). However when you restart XP it will then stop working again! Very strange... must be something in memory causing the fun and games...

Screamer can be made to work more reliably, tips over here: Screamer help within...

Screamer 2 and Screamer Rally will work pretty reliably (no repeatable crashes like the regular DOS versions) using dgVoodoo and those games 3Dfx versions. Go to the dgVoodoo thread for a bit more info: dgVoodoo 1 announcement thread
Ice