VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by GabrielKnight123

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi all I have an ISA Sound Blaster Vibra16XV CT4170 running sweet in windows 98se and dos games that have voice like Day of the Tentacle but I cant use Midi probably because of my Autoexec.bat file, the driver install program I used was for windows 98se only and didnt make any extra files for dos or entries for Autoexec.bat so I used in my floppy Autoexec.bat:

Autoexec.bat:
SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 H3 P330 T6
LH C:\mouse\mouse.com
LH A:\MSCDEX.EXE /D:mscd001 /L:D
SET PATH=C:\MOUSE;C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND;C:\WINDOWS

Config.sys
DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\HIMEM.SYS
DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\EMM386.EXE 8192 RAM (this is needed for Day of the Tentacle or Fate of Atlantis)
DEVICEHIGH=A:\OAKCDROM.SYS /D:mscd001
DOS=HIGH,UMB
files=100
buffers=40

If I change the music from Midi to something like Sound blaster Pro or Sound Blaster/Adlib Card for Gabriel Knight 1 I get music but I would still like to try using Midi. Im a noob with setting up Dos machines and I found out that this CT4170 has no OPL3 chip but instead it has a CQM chip I dont know what this is yet and I will be googleing about it but is that the reason why there is no Midi? Can someone pritty please tell me if I should get a driver for this card to use in dos and where to find it? Is it possible to find a dos SBmixer so I can turn down the volume setting as they are a bit high at the moment.

My PC Machine is:
CPU = Pentium 3 500MHz slot 1
Motherboard = GA-6BXC
RAM = 2x 64MB 100MHz CL2 SDRAM
Sound Card = Sound Blaster Vibra16XV
Graphics = AGP TNT2 32MB I think

Reply 1 of 4, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I am sorry to tell you, but a Sound Blaster 16 does not have a midi synthesizer. At best you can run a software synthesizer like Yamaha S-YXG50 in Windows. Or you can add another card or daughterboard that has a midi synthesizer.

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul

Reply 3 of 4, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
skitters wrote:

Yes, but that is the FM music circuitry. Not wavetable/midi.

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul