VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by VLC

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

i mean as in progs that do a simple neat task that can help matters.

for EG i learnt of a prog called 'moslo' which slows down your cpu if it over-speeds older game running.

see, i have this on my website to help out people, so wonder what progs people here suggest may also help people solve some problems when running games.

thanx for any suggestions 😀

Star Treking...
Trekdom.jpg

Reply 1 of 9, by mirekluza

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Disclaimer: this thread should be moved to DOS forum, since it is not about DOSBOX.

I do not have good experinces with MOSLO. The free version does not work on current computers, DeLuxe version is not free. I think that the following program is better: SLOWDOWN, downloadable from http://members.aol.com/bretjohn/

It contains also a utility to switch off CPU cache (but this works only in pure DOS). So before DOSBOX I used for example this attitude to run some old games (e.g. Champions Of krynn) on my 1 Ghz Athlon:
1. Rebooting to DOS
2. Switching off cache
3. Using slowdown
The reason for the point 2 (cache) is the fact that using slowing programs without this often results in jerky slowdown on current computers (they are just too quick to slow down comfortably - even this cache is temporary solution - the future belongs to DOSBOX).

Mirek

Reply 4 of 9, by Dr. Riptide

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

No, he really means Bremze which is a slowdown utility similar to Moslo. It works equally poorly.

Also, Windows XP seems to like to slow down the mouse cursor in certain DOS screen resolutions (640x480). There is a utility called mouse2kv that will fix this, but I can't seem to remember where you can download it from.

Reply 5 of 9, by VLC

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanx dude.😀

though it seems from the above replies, that 'cpu-slowing' progs are the only good little utility progs on the www today, as no ones put forward any other useful contenders 🙁

Star Treking...
Trekdom.jpg

Reply 6 of 9, by priestlyboy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Um.. I remember using CPUKiller which basically does what it says.. It's a windows program that slooows your windows CPU power down. I remember using it in conjunction with VDMSound once. The program called Abandon Loader ultilizes a CPUKiller type of program.

Ieremiou
----------
Helping Debug DOSBox.

Reply 7 of 9, by Dr. Riptide

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Alright, VLC, here's a couple of programs that have absolutely nothing to do with slowing down your CPU. 😉

Fdformat is a very cool diskette formatting tool that can handle lots of different formats; everything between 160KB and 1.72MB. It also leaves the annoying "Non system disk or system disk error" message out of disks that it formats.

Also, Flopper is a program for running games that normally like to boot directly into their own little world (like F-15 Strike Eagle) straight from DOS.

Reply 8 of 9, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I think pretty much all slow-down utilities are useless for me as I run with hyper-threading on. Looking at the processor usage, usually the slow-down utility only holds up one process and the otehr still makes the game too fast!

Ice

Reply 9 of 9, by VLC

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Dr. Riptide wrote:

Alright, VLC, here's a couple of programs that have absolutely nothing to do with slowing down your CPU. 😉

Thanx dude - an respect to you for those suggestions 😀

as for another one i know, theres one called 'diskdupe.exe' - an from dos it allows an endless series of floppys to be formated without the need for any key tapping - as in you just insert another disk an it auto formats it, like as in a relay.
it also has a great display thats shows each segment being formated.

another is 'nuke.exe' - which can delete any directory without fuss!
ie- no Qs asked.

HTH

Star Treking...
Trekdom.jpg