VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by digitalx

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I recently purchased an Optiplex GX 520 to play my older disc based games.

It's running a Pentium 4 at 3Ghz (I think it is)
1GB RAM
40GB HDD
XP 32bit.
Intel Chipset 82495G I'm pretty sure that's the one in device manager.

It installs via an old looking DOS program, I can get to the sound, VGA/SVGA options etc where it detects the sound cards and all that.

Then saving and exiting I get a ialmrnt5 error. Looking around it's a display driver issue, but I can only run on integrated since I have just a PCI slot and finding a PCI graphic card is near impossible.

What can I do? I tried downloading a more up to date driver but couldn't be located even though I put it in my documents..

I am just baffled. Back years ago it ran fine on my Win95 Packard Bell! Good times..

I did get the game to launch somehow, but then it asks for the disc, well the disc IS in the drive.

Reply 1 of 6, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Screamer is somewhat notoriously difficult to get running. XP in particular puts significant restrictions on the ability of DOS programs to directly access the video hardware and trying to change around your video hardware will probably not help much.

Have you not tried DOSBox?

Reply 3 of 6, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
digitalx wrote:

Not yet though, it's got no internet connection so I can put DOSbox on a USB stick and slap it on the dell yes?

Indeed, much like any other program. You can even run DOSBox from the USB stick directly, if you like.

I did use it for my Win10 machine but like the older hardware.

For a DOS game, most advantages that might be offered by older hardware would be lost if you are running Windows XP.

Reply 4 of 6, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Note that for older hardware and OSs ask questions in Marvin. This one is for modern systems.

Marvin, the Paranoid Android

Last edited by collector on 2017-04-04, 22:50. Edited 1 time in total.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 5 of 6, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
collector wrote:

Not that for older hardware and OSs ask questions in Marvin. This one is for modern systems.

Marvin, the Paranoid Android

When VOGONS was new, talking about running DOS games on XP was permitted in this forum. 😀

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 6 of 6, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

True, but XP is now a decade and a half old. You can't even install it on modern hardware without issue. But whatever.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers