VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

So I bought the big D&D bundle from GOG the other day, and I just installed Dark Sun and messed around with its music settings a bit and discovered a few things:

First of all, the General MIDI music sounds like crap on my SC-88 - even in SC-55 mode. It's like they did a lazy job of trying to remap the MT-32 instruments to General MIDI or something.

Second, I noticed that when I run the game in MT-32 mode with Munt set to CM-32 mode, I hear some wind blowing sounds at the very beginning that I don't hear when using my real MT-32 (old). I'm guessing the game was designed with the LAPC-I in mind? The sound setup doesn't mention the CM-32, but rather something like "LAPC I, MT 32, or MPU 401". The wikipedia page (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_MT-32-c … _computer_games) doesn't mention anything, although I will probably have added a note by the time you read this.

Reply 1 of 11, by rgart

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm pretty sure your talking about Dark Sun: Shattered Lands and not Dark Sun: Wake of the Ravager? What a fantastic sound track with a midi device. Ive always preferred the Roland MT-32 for this game and I hear the wind gust sound at the beginning on original hardware. (486/SB/MT32)

Last edited by rgart on 2017-04-15, 15:19. Edited 1 time in total.

=My Cyrix 5x86 systems : 120MHz vs 133MHz=. =My 486DX2-66MHz=

Reply 3 of 11, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
rgart wrote:

I'm pretty sure your talking about Shattered Lands and not Wake of the Ravager? What a fantastic sound track with a midi device. Ive always preferred the Roland MT-32 for this game and I hear the wind gust sound at the beginning on original hardware. (486/SB/MT32)

Yes, Shattered Lands.

Do you have an "old" (phono plugs only) or "new" MT-32 (headphone jack)? Anyone have any idea why I might not be hearing the wind gust on my MT-32 (old)? As far as I can tell, the game doesn't use sysex, and the CM-32 has a wind sound in its rhythm section (#105) but the MT-32 does not. I didn't think the different MT-32 models ("old" and "new") had different sounds?

KainXVIII wrote:

And how Wake of Ravager sounds with MT-32? Or better stick with g.midi?

I think it's composed with the SC-55 in mind, so General MIDI. I haven't checked recently, but I'm not sure if Ravager even supports MT-32.

Reply 4 of 11, by rgart

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
HunterZ wrote:

First of all, the General MIDI music sounds like crap on my SC-88 - even in SC-55 mode. It's like they did a lazy job of trying to remap the MT-32 instruments to General MIDI or something.

It sounds horrible on my real Roland SC-55 - I believe the game music was originally composed on the Roland MT-32 and the wind gust your referring to is at 02:41 in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2YZl9BW4Yo

KainXVIII wrote:

And how Wake of Ravager sounds with MT-32? Or better stick with g.midi?

While Dark Sun : Shattered Lands was a replayable masterpiece with music that will rock your world, Wake of the Ravager was a complete mess.

Character sprites so large you will wonder if your video card is working correctly and a game so buggy you will struggle to finish it. I have the CD version of the game which only supports CD AUDIO for music. What a step backwards this game was!

Looking here I see some vogoneer's have managed to use MIDI devices Dark Sun 2: Wake of the Ravager Fix

According to the reference card that comes with the game it supports Sound Canvas but I have no idea what it sounds like or if its only for sound effects.

YxmJ9HB.jpg

Last edited by rgart on 2017-04-15, 15:57. Edited 6 times in total.

Reply 5 of 11, by rgart

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
HunterZ wrote:

Do you have an "old" (phono plugs only) or "new" MT-32 (headphone jack)? Anyone have any idea why I might not be hearing the wind gust on my MT-32 (old)? As far as I can tell, the game doesn't use sysex, and the CM-32 has a wind sound in its rhythm section (#105) but the MT-32 does not. I didn't think the different MT-32 models ("old" and "new") had different sounds?

I've got the old MT-32 and have no idea why you don't hear the wind gusts. Aren't there some slight differences between MT-32 revisions?

Reply 6 of 11, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
rgart wrote:
HunterZ wrote:

It sounds horrible on my real Roland SC-55 - I believe the game music was originally composed on the Roland MT-32 and the wind gust your referring to is at 02:41 in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2YZl9BW4Yo

Yes, that's the one, and you're totally pulling my leg here:

I ran with Munt in CM-32 ROM mode, and it clearly shows that the wind sound is one of the high rhythm values not supported by MT-32. I then ran in MT-32 ROM mode and the wind sound is not present.

If you're hearing the wind sound, you're either using an LAPC-I/CM-32L/CM-64/CM-500, or you've got a hacked MT-32 that contains sounds from the newer synthesizers.

Reply 7 of 11, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

in what exact spot the wind sounds are present? when you first start to play the game? intro?
I have both old MT-32 and CM-32L so I want to test 😀

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 8 of 11, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Here, I made a video for everyone: https://youtu.be/TQgestXJs2I

Apologies for the sound quality - I didn't get the mic level right in OBS Studio, so I had to apply some effects in Audacity so that you can actually hear me talking.

Reply 9 of 11, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

^ I can confirm I get the same behavior as the video posted with a real old-ver MT-32 and a CM32-L both driven by an MPU-401AT

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 10 of 11, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

So I remembered that my SC-88 (non-pro) has a CM-64 compatibility mode; it has the CM-64 sound set and in compatibility mode maps them in as the defaults.

Because Dark Sun doesn't really use sysex customizations as far as I can tell, this mode sounds decent and includes the wind sounds. For the sounds that the MT-32 does do, it does better than the SC-88's CM-64 mode; probably due to the analog processing or something.

I suppose I could get fancy and mute everything but channel 10 on the SC-88 and then mute the rhythm part on the MT-32 to get something even closer to a real CM-64 sound. Edit: Nope, it's too annoying - the rhythm part resets its volume on every song change, and the MT-32 doesn't have a sticky mute like the SC-88.

Reply 11 of 11, by rgart

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
HunterZ wrote:

Yes, that's the one, and you're totally pulling my leg here

Yeah I concur, the wind gust does NOT play on my old MT-32 + 486 🙁

https://youtu.be/DgUgULx1Pr8