VOGONS

Common searches

Unreadable SimCity 2000 Floppy

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by rnlf

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi guys,

I hope this kind of question is appropriate to ask here at all and if so, that this is the right subforum for it.

I bought a boxed copy of the original SimCity 2000, as released on two 3.5" floppies. The first floppy reads fine and the installer starts without any problems and starts copying the files. On disk 2, some files are damaged though so that I cannot finish the installation. Would someone provide a backup copy of their floppy #2 to me? If you want, I can send to proof pictures that I own the floppies. In fact, if I just wanted to play the game, there are plenty of ways to obtain it, but I would prefer the restore my copy (after copying the missing files onto a new disk, I want to get the original label onto it, somehow. A problem I saved for later 🤣 )

I got the German version of the game, but I assume the one broken file I know of so far, sc2dat._ mainly contains graphics and sounds, so I would be happy to get the English version, if nobody has the German one.

Thanks!

Reply 1 of 15, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'll check if I have access to it when I get home.

As for removing and putting the sticker on a new floppy, a hair dryer used to remelt the adhesive works very well for removing tape and stickers.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 4 of 15, by Silanda

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If you haven't already, you might want to inspect the surface of the disc for any visible dirt, scratches, etc. I've returned a number of old games to readable by cleaning detritus off the disk surface. IMO it's a good idea to check out old disks anyway; dirt + read heads = a potential bad day.

Reply 5 of 15, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

EA did release SimCity 2000 Special Edition for free in 2014.
http://www.highpants.net/free-game-alert-ea-g … r-simcity-2000/

Edit - removed the links just in case since the OP got the files needed.

Last edited by cyclone3d on 2017-04-25, 21:24. Edited 1 time in total.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 6 of 15, by rnlf

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

@collector, I tried it, but it sadly didn't make any difference. Then I what what Silanda suggested and indeed found a tiny spot on the surface that looks quite suspicious, I tried to remove it with alcohol and a cotton swab, but didn't have success. It looks like a tiny damaged spot on the disk. I wonder if that is some kind of copy protection which has degraded and now made the whole file unreadable.

I also tried a second floppy drive, same result.

I confirmed that it's only the one file. Unstoppable Copier just reported everything after that first read error as unreadable. In the installer I was able to just ignore the error 5 times and the installation succeeded. I am not confident that it'll run correctly, though. (Edit: no, it makes my computer reboot!)

Thanks for the disk images, cyclone3d, They seem to be my best bet, sadly. At least I found some other floppy disks with the same color and markings as the original one. So if I can get this working and can replace the label, it'll look like new.

Thanks for all the help, guys. I already like this place! 😀

Reply 7 of 15, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
rnlf wrote:

I tried to remove it with alcohol and a cotton swab, but didn't have success. It looks like a tiny damaged spot on the disk. I wonder if that is some kind of copy protection which has degraded and now made the whole file unreadable.

While copy protection methods along those lines are not unknown, they are very rare, especially in a game as "new" and as common as SimCity 2000. I expect such methods would be difficult to replicate reliably and would tend to degrade. See http://www.oldskool.org/shrines/lbd/ .

Going after the surface of a floppy disk with alcohol and a cotton swab, or indeed pretty much anything, is probably a very bad idea.

cyclone3d wrote:

I am guessing it is ok since EA gave it away for free.

Not really. That was a limited-time giveaway and it is still very much for sale on GOG and elsewhere.

Reply 9 of 15, by rnlf

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Success! By making a copy of the broken disk and replacing the one unreadable file with the one I got from cyclone3d I was able to recreate the correct version of the game. Even the menus and all are still in the correct language. Not that I wouldn't like to play in English, but it says "German" on the box, so the content should be German, too.

Thanks so much for your help!

Edit: It does indeed work, except for one thing: The text encoding in the menu and newspaper are wrong. German special characters are not displayed correctly and the newspaper articles are completely unreadable junk. So if someone can provide the sc2dat._ from the original German release, I'd be super thrilled!

Reply 10 of 15, by Silanda

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Jorpho wrote:
rnlf wrote:

Going after the surface of a floppy disk with alcohol and a cotton swab, or indeed pretty much anything, is probably a very bad idea.

I personally use breath and a soft lint free cloth, and it's worked fine every time. I'm more cautious about using any solvents unless the disk is worthless. You may initially get extra read errors, so you have to be somewhat persistent as you can move dirt around while cleaning through the small window, but getting all the contamination off can revive disks. There's nothing to lose if you can't read a disk any other way, and IMO a bigger risk is transferring crud from a dirty disk to the read head, which could go on to be transferred to, or even scratch, other disks.

Reply 13 of 15, by rnlf

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I cannot believe it!

I tried it with a cloth, rubbed the suspicious spot with a bit more pressure - I thought the disk was dead anyway, so I didn't have anything to loose. Suddenly, the spot is gone. I put the disk into the drive,

A:\>copy sc2dat._ c:
1 file(s) copied

A:\>_

😲 😲 😲

Copied the file to a copy of the original disk (in which I had used the English sc2dat._), tried to install and ... WORKS!

Let me tell you something, today was the first day I had to work after my vacation and it's still officially the best day of the week!

Thanks so much for all your suggestions. <3

Reply 14 of 15, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
rnlf wrote:
I cannot believe it! […]
Show full quote

I cannot believe it!

I tried it with a cloth, rubbed the suspicious spot with a bit more pressure - I thought the disk was dead anyway, so I didn't have anything to loose. Suddenly, the spot is gone. I put the disk into the drive,

1 file(s) copied

😲 😲 😲

Copied the file to a copy of the original disk (in which I had used the English sc2dat._), tried to install and ... WORKS!

Let me tell you something, today was the first day I had to work after my vacation and it's still officially the best day of the week!

Awesome! Make images of those disks right away!

And you can probably get access to the Betaarchive.com ftp if you upload and submit for ftp access. (They don't just have betas). They basically archive all kinds of old software. That way, if you ever have something like that happen again to another piece of software, you can get a backup image from them.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 15 of 15, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
cyclone3d wrote:
rnlf wrote:
I cannot believe it! […]
Show full quote

I cannot believe it!

1 file(s) copied

😲 😲 😲

Awesome! Make images of those disks right away!

And you can probably get access to the Betaarchive.com ftp if you upload and submit for ftp access. (They don't just have betas). They basically archive all kinds of old software. That way, if you ever have something like that happen again to another piece of software, you can get a backup image from them.

Please keep this kind of talk outside of VOGONS.

Thread closed.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline