VOGONS

Common searches

Duke Nukem 3d

Topic actions

Reply 22 of 27, by LSD

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

OK, now I have the SoundFonts uncompressed and loaded into SBDyn all I can say is this:

O. M. G. 😮

I never knew MIDI could sound that good.

Wasurenaide...
...watashi ga iru koto o.
Itsudatte soba ni iru yo.

Gentoo. Because everything else is just shit. 😁
Registered Linux user #319839

Reply 23 of 27, by LSD

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have a couple more questions:

Is there a way to make SBDyn load a specific set at startup? I put it into my startup group but it starts up with a blank set meaning I have to add the Fluid fonts or load the set I created manually where I would prefer to just set it and forget it.

Secondly, I'm getting a few errors about it not being able to load certain banks, particularly when trying to play a couple of Final Fantasy VII MIDIs I have. Is my SoundFont corrupt (it took sfArkXTc a couple of goes to decode it and didn't reach 100% that I could see)?

Wasurenaide...

Reply 24 of 27, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I noticed that FFVII problem too. Sometimes it looks in the wrong bank for the instrument; you should be able to manually correct it. Also, to preload stuff, single-click on one of the sixteen channels marked "preload" or something similar to that and then you should be able to "Load" a sound into there or some jazz like that. I don't remember precisely how, I'm really tired, and can't be bothered to open SBDyn right now, but hopefully this gives you a guideline.

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 25 of 27, by LSD

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

That wasn't quite what I was after since thats dependant on actually having soundfonts loaded and the program was forgetting what soundfonts it had loaded in between shutdowns/logoffs/reboots. Anyway its moot now since, for some reson, it now works properly.

However, thats not what I wanted to ask. I've noticed that occasionally the driver will get "stuck" in an "in use" state (indicated by the systray icon turning blue and yellow as opposed to the grey and white that indicates "inactive") and not allowing programs to use it. Have you noticed this at all? If so, do you know a better way of fixing it other than killing the SBDyn control and restarting it?

Wasurenaide...

Reply 26 of 27, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I've never heard of it, but I think there's a panic button or something somewhere that you can use to force-reset it. Glad to hear it's working well in any case. Interesting that it loads the fonts you specified on start-up... I usually had to save a soundfont list and load that every time I started SBDyn!. That said, I don't play games with MIDI that much -- hell, I don't play games that much, period. 😒

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 27 of 27, by LSD

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Snover wrote:

I've never heard of it, but I think there's a panic button or something somewhere that you can use to force-reset it.

I'll have to look for that, the closest I can see is the "Clear All Memory" button. I'm not helped at all by the fact that someone forgot to include the proper help file. I'll keep digging.

Glad to hear it's working well in any case. Interesting that it loads the fonts you specified on start-up... I usually had to save a soundfont list and load that every time I started SBDyn!. That said, I don't play games with MIDI that much -- hell, I don't play games that much, period. 😒

Thats exactly what it was doing to me but now, for some reason it's loading the two fonts I specify by itself. Whether it's remembering the last two I had loaded or the list I loaded them into I don't know.

Wasurenaide...