VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Bibi

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have trouble configuring my sound card when i try to install dos a game ,the game does not seem to find the sound card parameters.Is there a command that exist to find thoses parameters ?(irq,dma)

I'm running with windows 98 se 🙄

I don't know where to look for the parameters of my sound card.
please help me . 😅

Bibi

Reply 1 of 9, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

And what card could that be? If it is a very old one, it will have ms-dos support. If it is a newer one, it won't PROBABLY have ms-dos support or, at least, it will be emulated by the OS, meaning that Port, IRQ and DMA values will be virtualised. More info is needed. 😁

Reply 3 of 9, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

See if you can find a program called MSD.EXE on your Win 98 installation CD. I am not 100% sure it can run from Win98, so you might have to reboot into MS-DOS before running it.

Alternatively, try HWDIAG.EXE (also on your CD).

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 5 of 9, by Bibi

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

i've look for msconfig but couldnt find it where should i look for it ?

also benn to the device manager and find out that the IRQ is 10 but nothing on DMA.

i found the MSD.exe but it didnt help me
all i could find was that the IRQ 10 was taken ...

as for the HWDIAG.exe i didnt find it on the win98 se cd.

is there a way to know them propriety if it's a virtualise sound card ?

thanks again

Reply 6 of 9, by Targaff

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If you do start > run > msconfig it should run - it's supposed to be in the system directory.

Intel CC820 | PIII 667 | 2x128MB SDRAM | 3Dfx Voodoo 5 5500 @ Dell P790 | Creative SB PCI128 | Fujitsu MPC3064AT 6GB + QUANTUM FIREBALLlct10 10 GB | SAMSUNG DVD-ROM SD-608 | IOMEGA ZIP 100 | Realtek RTL8139C | Agere Win Modem

Reply 8 of 9, by Targaff

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I dunno, I was just telling you where to find it :p It doesn't look like it has the information you need.

My sound card doesn't appear to be assigned a DMA either, now I check.

Intel CC820 | PIII 667 | 2x128MB SDRAM | 3Dfx Voodoo 5 5500 @ Dell P790 | Creative SB PCI128 | Fujitsu MPC3064AT 6GB + QUANTUM FIREBALLlct10 10 GB | SAMSUNG DVD-ROM SD-608 | IOMEGA ZIP 100 | Realtek RTL8139C | Agere Win Modem

Reply 9 of 9, by mirekluza

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

IRQ 10 is useless for you in relation to DOS games. PCI sound cards are NOT directly usable by classic DOS games/application. There *may* be some SoundBlaster emulation available for your sound card (I do not know your soundcard - check the drivers - perhaps there will be some configuration of SB emulation).
If there is nothing like that for your SoundCard, then you have 2 possibilities:
a) Use DOSBOX - it emulates complete DOS computer including a few sound cards. This is the best solution for older and less demanding games.
b) VDMSound - the main version supports only Windows NT/2000/XP, but there is also a version for Windows 9x - this is the best solution for power hungry DOS games.

Mirek