VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

TL;DR: Skip to the end.

So I bought The Elder Scrolls Anthology a year or two ago, mainly because my brother had bought me the base game of Skyrim (Which I still haven't really played because I'm still working on Morrowind 🤣) and it was cheaper than trying to buy all the Skyrim DLC separately (and only about $5 more expensive than buying the GOTY version of Skyrim with all DLC included). I already own all of the other games too:

• Arena: Got it for free from Bethesda
  • Daggerfall: Bought it when it was new. I also have a hand-burned mail-order CD from Bethesda somewhere that contains a special release for Win2K - I think it contained VDMSound or something (which may even be how I found out about VOGONS in the first place?)
  • Morrowind: Bought on a Steam sale
  • Oblivion: Bought on a Steam sale
  • Skyrim: See above

After buying it, I never really touched the discs - I just put the code into Steam so that I could get the free big Skyrim update that they recently released. Partly this is because I finally managed to complete Arena and Daggerfall a few years back (sometime between 2010-2012 I think) and had the rest of the games on Steam.

Well tonight I was messing around with my MIDI synthesizers and wanted to try Daggerfall again. Hoping to save myself the pain of having to install it via DOSBox and then patch it, I used the TES Anthology installer (Which was still a pain because my new laptop doesn't have an optical disc drive, and because the installer didn't want to launch in Windows 10 at first).

Anyway, I got it running and played for an hour or so until I finally died, and then I saw the exit screen in DOSBox: "TES: Daggerfall v1.0.165" - WHAAAAT?! Bethesda didn't patch the game?

Oh well, I guess there are very few players who would actually buy that version and play it seriously. The messed up part is they'd probably never know because DOSBox probably quits too fast to see the version string when they exit the game.