VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I restarted the EGA version of Quest for Glory 1, and after having some saves that I no longer want and wanted to keep the save/restore window clean, I edited the GLORYSG.DIR file by just deleting the reference to the second file. Of course, after I did that, the save/restore window no longer opens in the game. (It's not a pure text-only file and had some special characters.)

Finally I renamed my savegame file that I wanted to keep, deleted the GLORYSG.DIR file, restarted a new character and made a new save with the same name. Then I quit, and deleted this new GLORYSG.000 and renamed my original save to this name. And finally I got a clean window with only my preferred savegame name.

TLDR : Is there a proper way to edit the index/directory file *.DIR in the Sierra games, that yet to implement the "Delete" option in the SAVE window?

Thanks.

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 1 of 3, by Spikey

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

What I personally do is once I have a full 20 saves, I cut and paste all the saves and DIR file into a 's1' folder, and then the save/restore window is empty again. As for modifying, I will let someone else answer that!

Reply 2 of 3, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

There is an old official Sierra utility that will create a new "CAT" file (for later SCI games) based on the save games in the game's directory, but they did not have one for the earlier SCI "DIR" format.

http://sierrahelp.com/Utilities/Misc/SierraSa … talogFixer.html

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers