VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hi guys,

I recently acquired a lovely big box copy of Wolf3D Spear of Destiny, but sadly one of the floppies is unreadable with CRC errors. And of course the disk is full so scandisk can't help me, no guarantees there anyway.

It's the 360K, 5.25" disk version. 6 disks in total, but it's disk #3 that's dead. The only file listed is "SOD.7"

If anyone has a copy of this file then I'd be much obliged! I've googled my little buns off but haven't found it anywhere.

Thanks for any help.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 6 of 17, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Don't you just hate that!
Found a copy of Office 4.3 in a server room (last version to support Win 3.x) course only 1 disk out of the whole set was bad.
In a way I was lucky and "found" a copy on the net. but it just doesn't feel quite "complete"

Reply 7 of 17, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I don't know why I have such an obsession with the system requirements sticker on DOS game boxes, but I immediately gravitated to that on your pics, badmojo. I sometimes go to ebay and search for big box games just to read the sticker. 🤣.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 8 of 17, by 80486DX2

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
chinny22 wrote:

but it just doesn't feel quite "complete"

Sometimes I feel the same.

clueless1 wrote:

but I immediately gravitated to that on your pics, badmojo

Me, too. 😀 By the way, talking about system requirements, the oldest software I have is MS-DOS 3.21. Unfortunately, the box isn't in a nice condition.

But the disks and documents are in excellent shape. I take good care of them!

Back then, the system requirements were quite simple. 😁

Last edited by 80486DX2 on 2017-06-14, 10:56. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 9 of 17, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ha yeah my eyes head directly for the system requirements too! It was such an important factor back in the day, and generally speaking I was on the wrong side of the cut off for most of my childhood so that sticker could make or break you. Not that they were 100% truthful with those anyway, particularly once SVGA entered the mix.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 10 of 17, by VileR

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'm kind of mystified as to why they'd release SoD in 1992 on low-density disks (the 5.25" and 3.5" releases were 360K and 720K respectively), especially since hi-density drives were standard by then. Unless you had an XT-class machine, which wouldn't run SoD in the first place.

But that's nowhere near as mystifying as the that MS-DOS 3.21 box "art". I can only assume that the designer was trying to get fired, and it somehow flew right over the product manager's head. 😁

Last edited by VileR on 2017-06-13, 16:08. Edited 1 time in total.

[ WEB ] - [ BLOG ] - [ TUBE ] - [ CODE ]

Reply 11 of 17, by NewRisingSun

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Maybe I'm missing the obvious, but what's mystifying about the DOS 3.21 box?

VileRancour wrote:

I'm kind of mystified as to why they'd release SoD in 1992 on low-density disks (the 5.25" and 3.5" releases were 360K and 720K respectively), especially since hi-density drives were standard by then -

A warehouse full of empty double-density disks that otherwise would have to be thrown away? (Excuse my annoyance with the "low density" part; it's just a pet peeve of mine. 😀)

Reply 12 of 17, by VileR

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
NewRisingSun wrote:

Mostly the thought process behind choosing that most unattractive of things, a screenshot of DIR, for the "art" (and contriving it to show an arbitrary selection of files... whose real number is then hidden by that gray bar, no doubt to tease and tantalize the buyer). A blank/solid color design would've looked better, or at least not as slapdash.

VileRancour wrote:

(Excuse my annoyance with the "low density" part; it's just a pet peeve of mine. 😀)

True, I stand corrected. 😀

[ WEB ] - [ BLOG ] - [ TUBE ] - [ CODE ]

Reply 13 of 17, by NewRisingSun

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I think there actually was a fad in the 1980s among some marketing people towards "brutal honesty" in box art: when Nintendo released the NES, their marketing agency told them to replace the drawn box art of the Japanese game versions with ugly pixelized images. That was based on the questionable belief that the videogame market had died earlier in the decade because people were supposedly disappointed that the Atari 2600 graphics looked nothing like the box art or something.

At least they didn't use the CGA output to make that DIR screenshot 😉

Reply 14 of 17, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The Nintendo game calendars back then were also a similar deal. Large printed colorful pixelated artwork with slightly more uneven aliased pixel definition than the originals 😀 almost like "modern" "oldschool" "retro" "vintage" videogame pixel art these days

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 15 of 17, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
VileRancour wrote:

I'm kind of mystified as to why they'd release SoD in 1992 on low-density disks (the 5.25" and 3.5" releases were 360K and 720K respectively), especially since hi-density drives were standard by then. Unless you had an XT-class machine, which wouldn't run SoD in the first place.

One thing that comes to mind is that it supports the "IBM PC AT", which originally came with PC-DOS 3.0 (and both MS-DOS & PC-DOS didn't have support for the 1.44MB drives until version 3.3)
Although this might explain the DD disks for the 3.5" release, support for the HD 5 1/4 drives was there in version 3.0 though.

Reply 16 of 17, by 80486DX2

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
NewRisingSun wrote:

If you look carefully the upper part, you can see the logo of Apple Inc., which was quite unusal back then! I can't believe you didn't see that!