VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Robhalfordfan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

hi

I posted a while ago about garbled text in pharoh's tomb and there was a fix but a few other games are affected because of this

help with Pharoh's Tomb in dos [SOLVED]

I have made a multiple choice bat file for the game to boot into each episode with slowdown software and I was wondering is there a way to

change country file code in config.sys from a bat file automatically for the game and to automatically change back to original when games exits

or

from a bat file to automatically change lines in config.sys and autoexec.bat from the previous post when game runs and change back when game exits

Reply 1 of 11, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

There are utilities like devload and drvload that will let you load .sys files from a batch file, and I think some of them will even let you unload the .sys files later. There should be other threads about them somewhere around here. I don't know if they work with display.sys and country.sys, though.

Reply 2 of 11, by Robhalfordfan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

ok thanks and had a go with them and other sys loaders and unloaders doesn't work as some cant find the sys file (eventhough the sys file is there) or if it does, the dos prompt flashes and does nothing

and is there a way to unload a sys file from already loaded config.sys and load the unloaded sys file back after games exits

and noticed I only need to disabled the display.sys for the game from previous post

Reply 3 of 11, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Robhalfordfan wrote:

and is there a way to unload a sys file from already loaded config.sys and load the unloaded sys file back after games exits

There might be something obscure with that capability, but it probably wouldn't work any better than the .sys loaders.

Since you're using DOS 6.22, wouldn't it be easier to set up a boot menu that doesn't load up the relevant .sys file, and then reboot when you're finished playing the game?

Last edited by Jorpho on 2017-06-17, 15:56. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 6 of 11, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

People have been doing that for the last twenty years. It is straightforward and you should have no trouble finding a guide on Google.

Have you read anything about it already? Do you have any specific questions?

Reply 7 of 11, by Robhalfordfan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

would the boot menu start before the HIMEM checks for memory

could in theory have few boots options like

one with display.sys loaded
one without display.sys loaded
one just for dos networking/bbs stuff