VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by AndyK

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm new to using forums, so if this question is in the wrong area, I apologise.

I have a Dos game called Fatal Racing (Known as Whiplash in the USA) and it's an original CD-ROM version. What is bugging me is it doesn't display in the centre of the screen. There is a small black border down the right hand side, and the left hand side is cut off where it's not centered properly.
You can get the game to display properly by adjusting the monitor, but that's awkward to do everytime. So my question is, is there a fix for it (That doesn't involve manually adjusting the monitor)?

None of my other Dos games have this issue. I'm running the game in real Dos 6.22, so it's not running in an emulator or Dosbox.

I'm using a Voodoo 3000 AGP card, but as I said, nothing else has this issue.

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Reply 2 of 7, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
AndyK wrote:

I'm new to using forums, so if this question is in the wrong area, I apologise.

Note that in the future if you are using old hardware you will want to ask in Marvin. Marvin, the Paranoid Android

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 3 of 7, by AndyK

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for your assistance, I tried changing the refresh rate as suggested using the 'vbehz' program but it made no difference. It's not a big deal, as it doesn't affect gameplay, so I'll live with it. It is very odd though.

Thanks again for your help.

Reply 4 of 7, by Osprey

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Perhaps Scitech Display Doctor would help? I recall that helping run a few SVGA VESA games in DOS back in the day, and that seems to be your usage case. It wouldn't hurt to try, at least.

EDIT: I'm blind. That's obviously not your usage case, since you have a Voodoo and are talking about 3Dfx acceleration, not VESA.

Last edited by Osprey on 2017-07-30, 21:38. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 6 of 7, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

What resolution is the game running in? If you can change resolutions, try a different one.

Also, there's a version 2.0 patch according to http://www.mobygames.com/game/dos/whiplash/release-info

Do you have it? Worth a shot trying to find it if you don't.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 7 of 7, by Osprey

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
leileilol wrote:

Scitech Display Doctor won't help the Voodoo3 as the last version of that predates it by a year.

Yeah, I somehow overlooked that he said Voodoo. I saw the AGP and assumed that he was using software rendering (i.e. VESA).