VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by NamelessPlayer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Windows XP Home(the main problem, in this case)
AMD Athlon XP 1800+
512 MB PC2100 DDR RAM
ATI Radeon 9600 XT
Integrated nForce sound chipset

Has anyone managed to run Mercs successfully on an XP system? I can run it, but it crashes when trying to actually play the game. I can't install the Windows version(it crashes after the registration prompt), so I try to use the DOS version. DOSBox wouldn't work, but it would run like crap anyway. VDMSound is good. I don't really need NoLFB or Mouse2KV, but the cursor is fairly slow without Mouse2KV. I've seen threads in this forum reporting that people have run the game, but they don't mention what OS.

EDIT:I should mention that when I patch it to 1.1, the sound gets screwed up(plays wrong sound or plays endlessly), and it doesn't help. Also, I've heard that people have run it under XP.

Last edited by NamelessPlayer on 2004-06-02, 20:03. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 3 of 11, by NamelessPlayer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Okay, from what I know, people have run Mech 2(not Mercs)in DOSBox, but it requires a no-CD crack, done through hex-editing. How can I edit my Mercs.exe & my MW2.EXE so that they don't check for the CD, and therefore, run in DOSBox?

Reply 4 of 11, by KHORG

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Mercs won't run in win95 mode in 2000/XP at all because of some crazy DirectX incompatibility
DOS mode will run, but only for certain versions.

1.0, 1.05 and 1.06 will run, 1.1 won't. If you check through the 1.1 readme, it states that it doesn't support DOS. The repeating sounds and wrong sounds you're getting are because Mercs has tried to load the old 1.06 shell into 1.1

Personally I think pre 1.1 Mercs looks better anyway, even if there are a couple of bugs you need to watch out for.

How did you manage to patch it to 1.1 anyway? I couldn't get the patch to work in 2000, only in windows 98.

Reply 5 of 11, by NamelessPlayer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I don't exactly remember, but the first patch, which was already extracted, never worked. A different 1.1 patch was in a self-extracting .exe & worked. Didn't even need compatibility mode.

Reply 6 of 11, by NamelessPlayer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hey, I changed compatibility to Win98, cranked DOWN the settings-and it WORKED! Problem is, it looks a lot like it did on my older rig, only at 1024x768. Eventually, I'll find out what causes the problem...

Reply 7 of 11, by NamelessPlayer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Okay, these things cause the game to crash:
-Turning textmaps on or setting Detail to High(the 1st 3 setttings)
-Firing certain weapons(MGs confirmed, PPCs suspected, small lasers & missiles work fine)
-'Mechs taking damage(you or them, it won't matter)

Sucks that I have all these problems on a rig no one would have ever dreamed of in 1996...

Reply 8 of 11, by NamelessPlayer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Okay, something's not right. In my manual, it says that in the 3dfx Edition, these options are ALWAYS ON:

Object textures
Terrain textures
Display detail
Object density

The funny thing is, I can CONFIGURE those options. Also, when looking in the Windows installation's registry, it tells me something about a MERCS3DFX.EXE file, which is nonexistant. Now someone find out what hex data entries in the MERCS & MW2 .EXEs relates to CD-checking, because all the help I find relates to MechWarrior 2, and NOT Mercs!

Reply 9 of 11, by NamelessPlayer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Still haven't really found anything helpful-I know I can RUN it, but I don't want it crashing on me while looking like ass! However, abut the DX incompatibilities-is it a missing-file thing, or is it something in a file that I'll have to replace & risk screwing up DirectX?

Maybe I'll have to do some research on the Mercs.exe hex code?

Reply 10 of 11, by mccloed

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I can't even install Any of the Titanium edition MW's! I've tried the compatibility thing and it never worked. I got it to install on an older rig running XP, but the game won't play, it jst crashes. Can somebody help me out?

Reply 11 of 11, by NamelessPlayer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
mccloed wrote:

I can't even install Any of the Titanium edition MW's! I've tried the compatibility thing and it never worked. I got it to install on an older rig running XP, but the game won't play, it jst crashes. Can somebody help me out?

The Titanium Trilogy runs on the Mercs 1.1 engine, which is STRICTLY Win9x. Your only hope is crappy emulation(Virtual PC or VMware)or actually acquiring & installing a Win9x OS.

Now, to update on my problems-it doesn't really matter what the OS is-DOS, Win9x, Win2000 Pro or WinXP Home, they're all prone to crash.

Mercs 1.1 Windows: Only runs under Win9x. If you try to actually play the game(Instant Action or a mission), I get an error referring to mercsw.dll.

Mercs 1.06(?) DOS w/NAIS Shell: Runs on ALL OSes. Turning on Object Textures, Terrain Textures or setting Display Detail to High will result in a crash right after the "Initializing Neurohelmet" loading screen. The redbook audio will sill keep playing, though. Keeping those settings off, if you fire certain weapons, your jump jets in 3rd-person view, or hit an enemy 'Mech, the game WILL crash UNLESS enhanced vision mode is active(where everything is viewed in wireframe mode).

What surprises me the most is that the game doesn't run properly EVEN UNDER Win9x. I don't know if re-claiming my Xpert 98 from my dad is going to help in any way...might as well scrounge a couple of Voodoo 2's & an SB16 ISA from somewhere...maybe even a TM FCS/WCS/RCS old-school HOTAS setup...got any pointers?

EDIT: My Voodoo 2 just came in. Installed & ready to go(though the stupid vendor forgot to ship a VGA passthrough with it), but it's knocked out my SB Live! Value for some strange reason. With it, I played Mercs 1.1 quite well under Win98(I mean ALL the eyecandy on!)-now all I needed was some sound. However, my Win98 installation has just been crapping out on me, and I don't know what to do now since I don't have the Win98 SE disc.

EDIT 2: Okay, so I got Win98SE is running smoother than ever at the cost of the ability to boot into Linux, and this time with sound!

But there's still a problem with Mercs 1.1: The game hitches A LOT with my 12 MB Voodoo 2. I definitely don't remember my old Xpert 98 having that problem. More irony on top of a "3Dfx Edition" that uses D3D instead of Glide like it should.