First post, by Xeo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

For instance I try to load Dark Forces and it says:

ERROR: Unable to load LOCAL.MSG

or if I try to run ShadowCaster I receive:

Could not read file SHADOW.LIB.

I thought it might be related to case sensitivity in Linux so I tried renaming the files, but that didn't help. I also thought it might be a path issue, but that doesn't seem to be the case either unless I'm missing something.

These directories are exact copies of the ones found on my PC and both of these games run there without a problem.

Reply 2 of 6, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Did you install those games with wine or did you only copied those directories?

Keep in mind that most windows programs copy files into Windows and/or profile directories. Even in case you copied everything right, you'll be missing those registry entries.

I have traveled across the universe and through the years to find Her.
Sometimes going all the way is just a start...

I'm selling some stuff!

Reply 4 of 6, by dougdahl

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Could it be a problem with case in the directory names and how they get mounted in dosbox? Because when using the autoexec in dosbox, that does make a difference.

Either that or since a lot of games tend to use their config files for where to look for files, there could be a slight difference between how it was mounted in Windows as opposed to Linux, and the games are looking in the wrong place.

Reply 5 of 6, by Serious Callers Only

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The main incompatibility dosbox with dos versus linux is people either mounting full absolute paths paths instead of relative; or using the '\' directory seperator instead of '/' on mount or imgmount (you should use '\' on the mounted drives ofc).

'/' apparently works on both linux and windows paths (windows mostly doesn't care about relative paths using / instead of \), so it's what i use along relative paths. But from the errors you showed, that doesn't sound like your problem.

Reply 6 of 6, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

in Windows where are the files on your hard drive (full path please) and what are your mount commands (all and exact)
On linux the same as above please.

This sounds as if you are not using the same paths and the game getting confused where everything is)

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper