VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by tizzdizz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey guys,

I picked up Doom2 V1.7 with manual and strategy guide at a garage sale for $2 today. Problem is that disk 4 is bad. I am hoping someone has a copy, so they might be able to send over just that disk image. The other 4 disks seem to be fine. There is only one file on Disk 4, it's doom2b.4

I've even tried using my USB floppy drive on my new laptop, which is able to copy over around 80% of the file, but then runs into an error. I'd love to be able to reformat the disk 4 and copy the image back onto it, so that the complete set of floppies works again.

Any ideas? I did look at myabandonware.com, but I don't think the file types will match...

IMG_2233.JPG
Filename
IMG_2233.JPG
File size
1014.25 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
IMG_2229.JPG
Filename
IMG_2229.JPG
File size
874.52 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 1 of 11, by Osprey

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

You're in luck: http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?file_id= … 887639493488112

Your luck may run out trying to copy it back to the original disk, though, since it's the dreaded 1,457,664 bytes in size. I remember cringing whenever I saw files that size because I often couldn't back them up on used floppies and would need to break out new disks for them. You might be able to take the original disk apart, though, and put a new internal disk into it (so that you'd preserve the shell with the sticker on it). That'd be an interesting project. Either way, good luck.

Reply 3 of 11, by tizzdizz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Darn - As you said, it says it needs 1.0 KB more space on this freshly formatted,, never-used floppy disk. I ran into this before when trying to copy a disk image directly to the disk. Hmmm

Reply 4 of 11, by Osprey

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hmm. I didn't expect that it wouldn't fit on a brand new disk. Perhaps that's another reason why I remember files that size being so problematic. Perhaps they used tricks or special disks to squeeze an extra 1KB out of them than a normally formatted store-bought disk could achieve, no doubt as a copy protection measure.

Reply 5 of 11, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

There is a DOS utility that allows one to "superformat" floppies to larger capacities. Searching for "fdform18" should turn up a few download sites. I believe there is 1.48 MB option that does not require any TSR to be resident in order to support the larger capacity, which may be appropriate for your purpose.

Reply 7 of 11, by tizzdizz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

This is so strange. I have successfully been able to write the downloaded Doom2b.4 file to a new (old stock) disk several times. But when installing it still has the same problems on the same disk. I wonder if this cheap USB floppy drive I have is messing things up? Because now I'm using a separate version of the file in question, on a disk that was never used before, and getting the same result?

I did try several times separating the disk and swapping in fresh internal disk with the file on it. That didn't make it happy either. It worked once, and then not again after that. Oh well.

Reply 8 of 11, by xplus93

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

In my experience USB floppy drives never work right for imaging. You need to use a PC with a real FDD controller.

XPS 466V|486-DX2|64MB|#9 GXE 1MB|SB32 PnP
Presario 4814|PMMX-233|128MB|Trio64
XPS R450|PII-450|384MB|TNT2 Pro| TB Montego
XPS B1000r|PIII-1GHz|512MB|GF2 PRO 64MB|SB Live!
XPS Gen2|P4 EE 3.4|2GB|GF 6800 GT OC|Audigy 2

Reply 9 of 11, by Osprey

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Have you tried simply copying all of the files from the disks to the hard drive and installing it from there? If the file on disk 4 copies and you're able to install the game from the hard drive, then the disks are working and in good shape. Having that peace of mind is all that you're really after (i.e. you don't absolutely insist that the game be installed from floppy), right?

Last edited by Osprey on 2017-08-04, 21:57. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 10 of 11, by tizzdizz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

That's a good point. I have actually been trying to copy that single file from disk 4, and it just wont copy. It keeps having errors reading it. I have another idea -will try writing an image from a PC w/ real FDD controller as Xplus93 suggested. I was able to install it once on one machine, but have wanted to get it installed on others for comparison of performance/because I can.

Reply 11 of 11, by xplus93

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
tizzdizz wrote:

That's a good point. I have actually been trying to copy that single file from disk 4, and it just wont copy. It keeps having errors reading it. I have another idea -will try writing an image from a PC w/ real FDD controller as Xplus93 suggested. I was able to install it once on one machine, but have wanted to get it installed on others for comparison of performance/because I can.

Yeah, if you can it's good to have a spare machine just for disk image management.

XPS 466V|486-DX2|64MB|#9 GXE 1MB|SB32 PnP
Presario 4814|PMMX-233|128MB|Trio64
XPS R450|PII-450|384MB|TNT2 Pro| TB Montego
XPS B1000r|PIII-1GHz|512MB|GF2 PRO 64MB|SB Live!
XPS Gen2|P4 EE 3.4|2GB|GF 6800 GT OC|Audigy 2