VOGONS

First post, by adultlunchables

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yo! So I recently acquired a Compaq Deskpro 590 (also known as the Deskpro 5100 for some reason?)... It has a wonderful sound card with no game port for a joystick. However, there is an Ethernet AUI port on the motherboard itself, is it possible to use that as the game port? I plugged my joystick into it and no luck, but it fits perfectly. If I can't use the Ethernet AUI as a game port, what options are there for adding game ports to an original Pentium computer. It has PCI and ISA slots, so are there expansion cards for just game port? Or should I be looking at replacing my entire soundcard?

Reply 1 of 8, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

1) You can add a second sound card.
2) You can add an I/O controller with a game port or a Gravis game port card (if you can find one).

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 2 of 8, by Jepael

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
adultlunchables wrote:

It has a wonderful sound card with no game port for a joystick. However, there is an Ethernet AUI port on the motherboard itself, is it possible to use that as the game port?

No, don't plug joystick there, it has 12V on it to power the AUI, so you might burn the AUI port or burn the joystick!

adultlunchables wrote:

I plugged my joystick into it and no luck, but it fits perfectly.

Too late then. Fortunately if joystick had nothing connected to pin 13, it might have survived. Pin 13 is 12V on AUI, joystick 2 X axis on joystick.

So even if connectors fit, it does not mean you should plug things that are not meant to be plugged together.

Reply 3 of 8, by adultlunchables

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
gdjacobs wrote:

2) You can add an I/O controller with a game port or a Gravis game port card (if you can find one).

That's incredibly helpful, I very much appreciate that tip. If you don't mind, how would adding a second sound card work? Would I just plop it in the machine and just never install and drivers for it? Or will there be something to configure in my autoexec?

Reply 4 of 8, by adultlunchables

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Jepael wrote:
No, don't plug joystick there, it has 12V on it to power the AUI, so you might burn the AUI port or burn the joystick! […]
Show full quote
adultlunchables wrote:

It has a wonderful sound card with no game port for a joystick. However, there is an Ethernet AUI port on the motherboard itself, is it possible to use that as the game port?

No, don't plug joystick there, it has 12V on it to power the AUI, so you might burn the AUI port or burn the joystick!

adultlunchables wrote:

I plugged my joystick into it and no luck, but it fits perfectly.

Too late then. Fortunately if joystick had nothing connected to pin 13, it might have survived. Pin 13 is 12V on AUI, joystick 2 X axis on joystick.

So even if connectors fit, it does not mean you should plug things that are not meant to be plugged together.

Very very helpful, you sir are a gentleman and a scholar.

Reply 5 of 8, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ask old hardware and driver/configuration questions in Marvin. This forum is for DOS games on modern systems. Marvin, the Paranoid Android

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 6 of 8, by Joey_sw

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
adultlunchables wrote:

so are there expansion cards for just game port?

Yes there are, in fact it was the way for IBM PC compatible pre-soundblaster able to use joystick.
Creative was simply integrating pre-existing seperate options (IDE expansion for CD-ROM, gameport) into their soundcard which make their soundblaster products popular.

The problem is how to obtain them, thanks for soundblaster popularity, most soundcard makers also bundling similar options, which make the market for standalone gameport cards became less and less attractive and thus less likely continue to be made.

-fffuuu

Reply 7 of 8, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
adultlunchables wrote:
gdjacobs wrote:

That's incredibly helpful, I very much appreciate that tip. If you don't mind, how would adding a second sound card work? Would I just plop it in the machine and just never install and drivers for it? Or will there be something to configure in my autoexec?

It depends on the card. A PnP card, for example, would need to have the game port configured and initialized. To receive the greatest benefit, try selecting a card which has complementary characteristics to what you have installed already. If you're unsure, let us know the exact card you have installed and we can probably tell you where it's strongest and weakest, feature-wise.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder