VOGONS

First post, by blackmasked

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

During mid to late 90's a number of PC games have been released that offered a choice between hardware generated music (MT-32 / General MIDI) and Redbook audio.
Few titles come to my mind right now:
Blood
Heroes of Might and Magic II where CD audio music was rearranged and is very different from GM version.
Heretic where CD audio music was recorded on a Roland GM and saved as CDA, but for some odd reason not all tracks from GM version are available as CDA.
Hexen with similar treatment to Heretic and not all tracks available as CDA.
The Settlers II where CDA sounds like it was recorded on a Yamaha XG compatible device and saved as CDA.

I stumbled upon this page recently
http://www.mobygames.com/attribute/sheet/attr … ,125/p,2/so,0a/
and The Settlers a.k.a. Serf City: Life is Feudal is also listed there.
However, the only two PC versions of this game I am aware of, namely original floppy release and CD release from year 2000 have no CD audio at all.
Another version of the game, part of Blue Byte Classics series of budget re-releases, was also released on a CD, but unfortunately I have no access to it.
I am aware of two other CD releases of Settlers, by SSI in 1995 and by Dice in Europe in late 90's, but again I have no access to either of them.
Have any of you ever come across version of The Settlers 1 with music in Redbook audio format?

Serf City by SSI.jpg
Filename
Serf City by SSI.jpg
File size
138.73 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
The Settlers - Blue Byte Classics.jpg
Filename
The Settlers - Blue Byte Classics.jpg
File size
870.33 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

DOS build: Gigabyte GA-586T2, P200 MMX, 64MB RAM, Tseng ET6000 4MB, Sound Blaster AWE64 Gold, Roland SC-55mkII, Yamaha MU-80
98SE build: MSI MS-6163 Pro, PIII 650MHz, 256MB RAM, Voodoo3 3000, Sound Blaster Live! 5.1 Platinum, Yamaha SW1000XG

Reply 1 of 3, by jaZz_KCS

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have searched high and low for this as well, but until this very day I have not even heard this elusive CD-Audio at all so I cannot even confirm it exists.

I have both CD releases from 1994 and 2000, both are full CDs, but instead of audio tracks both of these releases are crammed full with demos and videos (as expected).

If someone can provide a link to a sample of aforementioned CD-Audio that would be helpful.