VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by mg24

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I am using DOSBox to run a 16-bit text-based application on a Dell Latitude E6410 laptop running 64-bit Windows 7.
My application runs OK, but the DOS Window it runs in has most of the usual window-menu options disabled. Specifically, I would like to use the "Edit" option that is available in a normal Command-Prompt window and its sub-menu options like "Mark," "Select all," "Copy," and "Paste." Because this menu is unavailable, I can't select and copy text that the program outputs to the screen; I have to transcribe it manually. (It's not just that the menu is unavailable, I can't do it with the usual keyboard shortcuts either.) Is there an option in the config file that can be set to enable that?

Reply 1 of 9, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

DOSBox is using a graphical output, so I don't know if that's possible, sorry. 🙁
But if you're running a rather simple text-mode application, you may want to give MS-DOS player a try.
It is described here: https://www.zophar.net/pc/ms-dos-player.html

Edit: here's the English translation of the author's homepage.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 2 of 9, by Osprey

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

DOSBox SVN-lfn has mouse copy/paste support. I've tested it by pasting something from the clipboard to the DOS prompt by right-clicking, as with the Windows Command Prompt. It works only when the mouse is not locked, though, and keyboard copy/paste isn't available.

Oh, hey, at the bottom of that page is a link to something called vDosPlus, which looks like it's for you... a DOS emulator designed for text-based applications (rather than games). Hey, this is pretty nice. It supports keyboard copy/paste (Ctrl+V works at the DOS prompt). It also looks really nice with its scalable TrueType font replacing the blocky DOS font.

Reply 3 of 9, by mg24

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for the suggestions, folks, I tried both vDOS and MsDOS Player, but neither will run my program. (I wrote it myself in PowerBasic many years ago.) MsPlayer bombs out with a message "error: int 2fh (multiplex interrupt)" and vDOS refuses to run it, saying "No 8087," which, IIRC, is a numeric co-processor. Apparently the vDOS emulation doesn't extend to emulating the presence of that chip. So it looks like DOSbox is the only emulator that will actually run it. I guess I'll just have to live with the limitation of not being able to copy text from the DOSbox program window.

Reply 4 of 9, by K1n9_Duk3

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If you only care about the output of the program, you can just redirect the output to a text file by running the program like this:

prog.exe > output.txt
prog.exe >> output.txt

Using the ">" operator will erase the content of the output file, ">>" will add it at the end of the output file without deleting anything.

This should work in any DOS-based command prompt, including DOSBox. The downside is that you don't see any text while the program is running.

Reply 5 of 9, by mg24

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks K1n9, I' know about output redirection, but it's just not practical in this case. The output loses all meaning unless it is laid out in a specific visual pattern on the screen. My program is a calendar comparison program. It shows corresponding dates in two different calendars in two adjacent month-grids. It allows navigation by days, weeks, months, years, etc. and this is only useful when output is to the screen, otherwise the user is running it 'blind.' Also, with each navigational 'move,' the grids are entirely 'redrawn' (textually) - It's useless sending that kind of frequently repeated output to a file, especially since it would lose its on-screen layout, and would just be a meaningless linear bunch of text and numbers. Occasionally, I want to copy just parts of the screen output because the program also displays certain allied information like Julian Day Number, the year-type, etc and It is just those bits of information that I occasionally want to copy from the screen for easy insertion into a calculator or to make a note of it in a text file. Redirecting the whole program output to a file wouldn't be useful for that purpose, but thanks for the suggestion anyway.

Reply 7 of 9, by mg24

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thank you Osprey,

I did not notice them when I first looked at the page you linked to, but on second visit, I found these two links on that page:
http://www.individual.utoronto.ca/wengier/dosbox.zip and
http://www.individual.utoronto.ca/wengier/dosboxmg.zip
I tried them both and (thanks for pointing this out), if I change autolock to false in the config file, I can actually use the mouse to select text from the screen and then copy it by pressing the Enter key. It works in both of the versions at those two links. Selecting is far from accurate and you can only do it with a left click and a rough swipe, but I can actually select a section of the screen that includes what I wanted to copy!

Thank you!!!

Reply 8 of 9, by Osprey

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

You're welcome. Thanks for the tip about pressing Enter to copy to the clipboard. That was something that I didn't figure out and why I was only able to confirm that pasting worked. I may be able to use that when I need to copy an error message to the clipboard.

Reply 9 of 9, by mg24

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

CORRECTION: I wrote in my last post "... and you can only do it with a left click ..." That was a typo. I meant to say, you can only do it with a RIGHT-click. (Just wanted to clear that up in case others wonder why it's not working for them.)