VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hello,
I have found some ancient thread abou AC97, but usually VIA AC97, i want to know about realtek AC97, its there working dos driver for gaming, or this soundcard is just dead end for Dos gaming?

Im old goal oriented goatman, i care about facts and freedom, not about egos+prejudices. Hoarding=sickness. If you want respect, gain it by your behavior. I hate stupid SW limits, SW=virtual world, everything should be possible if you have enough raw HW.

Reply 1 of 4, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

This forum is for getting DOS games working in modern computers. Please ask hardware questions in Marvin. There is already a thread there which is related to your inquiry where you can post your question.
Was AC'97 Support on DOS ever figured out?

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 2 of 4, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I read that nothing really technical there.

How do you clasify modern computer? I see there lots of question from PhilComputersLab, here is using much more ancient stuff thant i have.

Im old goal oriented goatman, i care about facts and freedom, not about egos+prejudices. Hoarding=sickness. If you want respect, gain it by your behavior. I hate stupid SW limits, SW=virtual world, everything should be possible if you have enough raw HW.

Reply 3 of 4, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That's a good question, and I don't think I can give you a firm answer*. However, sometimes inverting the question and asking "How do you classify a computer as not modern?" makes things easier. For example, AC'97 was supplanted by HDA some time ago, so I think the system you're asking about is a bit less than fresh.

Try Marvin. I think you'll like it.

* Even if I had any official standing on this forum beyond being a regular scrum, which I do not.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 4 of 4, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It's really more "modern operating systems" than anything else, originally anything that was NT-based. Like running games in Windows XP's NTVDM. It was all vastly simplified by emulators like DOSBox, but when this forum was created, DOSBox had not been around all that long, and also had a steep performance hit, so there were still many people trying to run DOS games "natively" in the NTVDM.

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto