VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by condej73

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi guys this is my first time posting here so i hope im welcome, so here the thing
I have mortal kombat 2 for dos, so i after i got the game i started reading in google about how to play it, and since i have WXP Pro SP1 i had to donwload a patch called TTpatch from borland pascal, so it kinda worked from there cuz then i had this problem that when i played it it would give an error because it couldnt find the cdrom , so i downloaded VDM sound and the error went away but another problem came up, it happens everytime and what happens is that i hear NOTHING it has no sound, by default mk2 has no sound on my pc i imagine because there is none of the sound cards that appears on the menu. ive tried to used vdm with every opntion en the mk2 option, but there's still no sound. next i tried DosBox but i have the error that says cannot find cd drive, and restarted my computer and the error did not appear again, it opened but its really slow, so how do i increase the speed?
so what can i do to hear the sound on VDM?
thanx.
oh yeah my pc specs:

-pentium 4 - 1.5ghz
-ram: 512 sdram
-video: ati 9800 series 256mb
-WXP PRO SP1
and yes the VDM and DOSBOX are the latest versions.

Reply 1 of 6, by condej73

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

ok forget alomst everything,
on dosbox i fixed that cannot find cdrom error(well fixed alone after i restarted my pc). and the music was ok but the video was slow so i increased the cycles a bit and the video improved a little bit and sound ok, but if increased even more the cycles the vido wouldnt be perfect and sound satrted to corrupt.
so i tried on VDMS and i managed to hear on VDMS but not completely, because for example on the fight screen i could not hear the fight! or any of the hits from the players.
so what can i do?

and now i when i try to use dosbox y get this error:

CONFIG:Loading settings from config file dosbox.conf
MIDI:Opened device:win32
Exit to error: PIC:Unhandled command 00

Reply 2 of 6, by Mephisto

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Normaly Mk2 AND Mk1 are using Sound Blaster or Roland, you can configure it when pressing G9 during the game (as far i remember) - its where you can change you key-configuration, the there should be sound (me thinks 😀 )

Reply 4 of 6, by nathanelm

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi.

I've backed up the original CDs for Mortal Kombat.

Works fine for MK3 and MK Trilogy (on DOSBox I mean), but the CD I have for MK1+MK2 gives me problems: After I install the games, I configure them and everything seems to work fine. But then when I run either game, it asks for the CD, and even though I triple-checked that everything is in order and that the "disc" is in (I used the image I backed up), it still insists I should insert the CD in the drive, or it won't run. (I even tried to restart my computer, but to no avail) The problem also occured when I inserted the actual CD and mounted the disc drive instead.

Any ideas as to why it happens? I seriously doubt they had that good a copy-proptection system back then.

Reply 5 of 6, by nathanelm

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

OK, I got the problem solved. Apparently, my CD-ROM drive was mounted as drive E, but for an unknown reason the MK games assume that my CD-ROM drive is D, even though the game was installed from E. Since I couldn't change the MK games to look for E, I remounted the CD drive as D, and problem solved.

Does anyone know how is it possible? Why would the games would look for a CD in D even though it was installed from E? Is it necessarily an MK bug or could it be a DOSBox bug?

Thanks!

Reply 6 of 6, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

dos games don't like that D:\ is missing
they tend to do things like
check if C exists=> yes check if D exists => yes check if E exists.
If it gets a no on D:\ then it won't check E:\

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!