VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by xDeathCon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well, I'm not quite sure where this should go... But since it has to do with playing DOS games over a network, I guess it goes here.

Anyway, I currently have 2 Windows 9x computers on my network. A Windows 95 and a Windows 98. I want to play DOS games over the network, and it seems like it would be fine. They both detect the protocol to use, and try to find the other player.

However, when I test with Duke Nukem 3D to see if it works, the Windows 98 uses IPX on socket 0x8849, while Windows 95 registers a NetBIOS game. They can't play with each other this way. I don't know what would be causing this. They both have exactly the same network protocols. The only difference is that Windows 95 has been here for longer, as I just had reinstalled Windows 98 on the one computer after getting it out of storage. The Windows 95 has the ability to use VPN, but it's not active. I don't know why this is happening, especially after removing the NetBIOS over IPX protocol from the Windows 95.

Reply 2 of 2, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

9x networking always seems like that, swear it takes a hard reboot for settings changes to take sometimes.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.