VOGONS

Common searches

Shadow Warrior in VESA modes results in corrupted graphics

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by ezekiel2517

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Howdy,

Been having trouble getting the higher VESA modes to work properly in Shadow Warrior using a Radeon 9000 pro in Windows XP.

I configure the SW setup properly, load NOLFB, then run sw.exe, however all the graphics in game have garbled colors and look like they are running in EGA mode or something. If I turn off the higher VESA and go back to the default 320x200 Normal mode, the graphics look normal. VESA 320x200 does not work either.

Interestingly, Duke3d will run in these higher VESA modes just fine (after loading nolfb of course).

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

mobo: some nForce variant
video: Radeon 9k pro
processor: athlon 2600+
ram: 512 DDR333
Sound: onboard nForce
Operating System: windows xp

Reply 3 of 9, by Comreak

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I having the exact same issue. I've also tried AXVGA, vesafix, etc., none of them worked for me. I pretty much tried everything ezekiel2517 tried, in addition to the VESA i/o fixes (or something like that). My specs:

Radeon 9800pro (cat 5.3)
Audigy Gamer
MSI KT6 Delta w/ Athlon XP 2100+
512 Megs of RAM
Windows XP

The strange thing is, this problem doesn't seem to occur in any of the other build games I have (Blood & Duke3D). I also didn't have this problem last time I did a run through Shadow Warrior. Maybe ATI broke something in one of their latest drivers?

Reply 5 of 9, by Comreak

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yep, I tried NOLFB. Shadow Warrior doesn't crash like it does when I don't use nolfb. I've also used cli2nop (although, I don't think that has anything to do with VESA) and the sound is pretty good. I've attached a screenshot of the issue.

Edit:// Here's a screenshot:

http://home.earthlink.net/~comreak/images/SWCP0000.jpg

I know it looks a bit pixelated, but it allows you to see the general issue. All the colors seem like they been inverted (or something like that).

Reply 6 of 9, by Mephisto

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

ezekiel2517 :.......the default 320x200 Normal mode, the graphics look normal. VESA 320x200 does not work either.

Interestingly, Duke3d will run in these higher VESA modes just fine (after loading nolfb of course).

Maybe some kind of file is corrupted, have you tried to compare the filenames, and copy the identical (with name and not thouse responsible for leveldesign) from the duke 3d to SW directory.
I tried this once with some sierra games, and it worked for me (cause i have lost {somehow} the drivers for the 640x480 res. in KQ and copied it from SQ 😀 ).

I think that Duke 3D & SW use the same engine (as far i can remember) so try to do this - maybe it helps a bit ????

Reply 8 of 9, by polape

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi, I've got few problems. I can run Blood, Carmageddon, Quake, Unreal etc. but Shadow Warrior still doesn't work. I can't get high resolutions and everything is in greyscale. Only sometimes the colors flash - when you start or exit from game or pick up something. It's really bad. Also, don't ya know how to get Blood to run 16:9?