VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by andreja6

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So I've been trying to make a multi-player match on multiple PC's but I can't get it to use IPX, even when NWLink IPX/SPX/NetBIOS compatible protocol is installed, it just starts using NetBIOS. The windows 98 was able to connect to another windows 98 using IPX, and Duke detects it perfectly. Duke nukem on the 2000 just reverts to NetBIOS, and although I would not mind if it worked, It just crashes seconds later. Does anyone know how to get this to work?

Yes I know NT based os's are not for DOS games
Yes I know DOSBox exists, but this PC runs every DOS game almost perfectly if SoundFX 2000 is enabled
No I do not want to use DOSBox, it refuses to connect to any actually existing IPX network, unless you toy around with it to the point where you practically re-write the program, which i do not want to do

I would gladly install windows 98 onto the PC, but last time i did that "ACPI IRQ Handler" or something kept getting code 10 and no sound card or anything would work.
The PC is an eMachines CT6415 with the only addition being a sound blaster Live! value card

Reply 1 of 2, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Trip down memory lane!
Back in early Win95 but pre Internet days I ran a peer to peer IPX network, was so much easier then this strange new TCP/IP with all these numbers you had to fill in!

I did a quick google and found something that talked about frame type, mostly windows worked it out ok, but every now and then you had to manually set it, usually when a mate would bring his PC round and you spent 1/2 a day just getting the computers to see each other, so yeh this is real retro computing here 😜

The Below should help I hope?
https://ppmforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=23456
Obviously follow the steps for your network card not the Hamachi one, that's to play over a VPN.

You do have another option possibly?
You could setup a true dos partition and run the game from there. I cant find your PC specs, but as long as everything has dos drivers your good to go!

Reply 2 of 2, by AlaricD

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
chinny22 wrote:

I did a quick google and found something that talked about frame type

Setting the frame type to 802.2 should do it; it had to be done on Win2K/WinXP systems to play nice with Novell Netware over IPX/SPX. (By XP, it seemed that including IPX/SPX was done as a cruel prank, or by way of nudging people to abandon Novell.)

"The Big Bang. The ultimate hero of low frequency. The divine intergalactical bass drum connecting the tribes of our solar system."
Yello
"Solar Driftwood"