VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by MusicallyInspired

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So I've long been interested in seeing if I could rip the MIDI/HMI files from the resources files of Prisoner of Ice. I have the CD version of the game which comes with the VGA and SVGA talkie versions. You can toggle between a lo-fi digital soundtrack and an FM soundtrack. However, I noticed today that in the CD's root directory there are files and information related to the GUS. LOADPATS.EXE is present but when you run it it says to run INSTALL and SETUPGUS which aren't included on the disc. It has no install or setup executables at all, actually (runs like a LucasArts CD game right off the disc, only saving game settings and save games on the hard drive). I was hoping to at least find a way to change the MIDI device to an external compatible driver so I could capture the MIDI information, but no such capability exists. But the presence of GUS files leads me to think that it used to. Perhaps the floppy version? I don't have this version so I can't find out. Does anyone else out there?

I've ripped the digital soundtrack from the game long ago by opening certain game files with Goldwave with the correct PCM settings and just splitting them up that way. But I see files that reference HMI as well so I have to imagine there are HMI files embedded in the resources somewhere somehow. But it's not as easy (for me anyway) to rip MIDI files as it is with the PCM hack I did years ago. Any ideas?

Yamaha FB-01/IMFC SCI tools thread
My Github
Roland SC-55 Music Packs - Duke Nukem 3D, Doom, and more.

Reply 1 of 4, by lolo799

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You have the DOS version of the game, the audio setup is shown the first time you run the game, you can still access it by running ice320 -config or ice640 -config.

ice640_001.png
Filename
ice640_001.png
File size
69.64 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
ice640_003.png
Filename
ice640_003.png
File size
69.76 KiB
Views
File license
ice640_004.png
Filename
ice640_004.png
File size
69.54 KiB
Views
File license
ice640_005.png
Filename
ice640_005.png
File size
69.8 KiB
Views
File license

There are other versions of the game: a native Windows version that includes the SVGA DOS executable, a Mac version, and japanese ports for the Playstation and Saturn, no floppy version of the game exists.

The Windows version copies the currently being played .mid file to the directory where it puts the config and save files while you play the game, that would be the easiest way to get the music.

PCMCIA Sound, Storage & Graphics

Reply 2 of 4, by MusicallyInspired

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ah yes I do remember that setup screen now from when I used to play it in Win95. Didn't know it copied MIDI files to the drive! How convenient. However, I don't have the Windows version. Thanks for the information!

My Github

Reply 4 of 4, by MusicallyInspired

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

All of them. I'm trying to start a project to rerecord the music as closely to the digital version as possible but in high quality. I know they can be quite different and there are specific samples in the digital recordings that are unique to whatever synth device the composer was using for the game (also I don't think every digital song is represented in the MIDI soundtrack and a bunch of songs are shuffled around so different tracks play at different times between them), but it's a long-term thing. And it's easier than starting from scratch.

My Github