VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by guruman

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm trying to get BLOOD working under Virtual PC 5 build 350 trial. The parent system is Windows 2000 Professional, under which I've learned (in no small part thanks to this site!) BUILD games are horribly unusable.

I've found that whenever I try to enable digital audio, the 'hardware' initializes but as soon as the setup program tries to put out sound, the emulated DOS4GW crashes taking the setup program with it.

Trying to run the game also crashes out.

Any workarounds? I don't really want to play without sound, and can't see uying the emulator if it doesn't work for these games!

Reply 1 of 4, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Remove all TSR's from your Config.sys & Autoexec.bat.

EMM386 is most likely the culprit. Remove it when playing most DOS4GW games.

Also it's recommended that for the best BUILD gaming experience that you use real DOS.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 2 of 4, by guruman

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks, that seemed to do the trick. Restarting the virtual Windows 98 machine and booting to a DOS prompt only (with the Virtual PC file sharing utility REMmed out) works, although the performance is sketchy at best.

I did try to make a virtual DOS 6.22 machine, but I wasn't able to install the game from the CD-ROM for some reason. The DOS machine wasn't able to read the BLOOD CD properly; very odd. Installing it from Windows worked fine.

Last edited by guruman on 2002-10-21, 03:15. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 3 of 4, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yep, BLOOD will work in VPC but the VESA/Sound will be slow and the sound will be very crappy. You CAN get better sound using Windows XP but it's not worth the upgrade just for blood because you'll still have to use the lowest sound settings in Blood just to get decent performance/quality.

It's best to play the game under real DOS for now. 🙁

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 4 of 4, by guruman

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Oh well ... some you win, some you lose. Hopefully I can find *working* DOS drivers for my SBLive! that can act like an SB16 (have my doubts)...

How to get natural DOS is another question. Can't really dual-boot, both of my current partitions are NTFS all the way.

Thanks for the insight.