VOGONS

First post, by StupidBunny

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've been spending the last couple of weeks installing MS-DOS and Windows 3.1 onto an early-2000s desktop computer I had around. For the most part I have it in good working order, but the infamous Privateer static-ey sound issue has been dogging me without any apparent resolution. I have tried the game with and without any music (the music does work fine when selected with Sound Blaster PRO/16). I've tried with and without XMSDSK. I tried QEMM which gave me a lot more upper memory but which also prevented a lot of games from working properly/at all.

CPU: Pentium 4
RAM: 2.49 GB

Sound card: Montego II Turtle Beach PCI card with Aureal Vortex 2 AU8830 audio

AUTOEXEC.BAT

@ECHO OFF
PROMPT $p$g
PATH C:\WINDOWS;C:\QEMM;C:\DOS
SET TEMP=C:\DOS

C:\XMSDSK\XMSDSK.EXE R: 16000 /y /t

SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 T4

C:\WINDOWS\AU30DOS.COM

REM Mouse drivers
LOADHIGH C:\DOS\CTMOUSE.EXE

CONFIG.SYS

DEVICE=C:\DOS\HIMEM.SYS
DEVICE=C:\DOS\EMM386.EXE D=64 RAM 16000 /I=B000-B7FF
BUFFERS=40,0
FILES=100

DOS=HIGH,UMB
LASTDRIVE=Z
FCBS=4,0

BREAK=ON

STACKS=9,256
SHELL=C:\DOS\COMMAND.COM C:\DOS /P

MEM.EXE reports roughly 66 MB of memory, when of course my computer has quite a bit more than that. It also reports only 55 kB of upper memory which seems small, and would explain why none of the device drivers actually load high (I've never gotten AU30DOS.COM, the audio driver, to load high in all the times I've tried.) In any event, when loading in only the devices listed above Privateer runs fine, scratchy sound aside.

Reply 1 of 2, by StupidBunny

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Limiting the scope of my question a bit, based on a little more experimentation: is 2.5+ GB of memory simply too large for some of these DOS games to run properly? And if so, is there anyway to limit or "hide" the memory from DOS so I don't have this problem?

Reply 2 of 2, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
StupidBunny wrote:

MEM.EXE reports roughly 66 MB of memory, when of course my computer has quite a bit more than that. It also reports only 55 kB of upper memory which seems small

Both is fine. Upper memory is only 64 kb in total and 9 kb are used because of "DOS=HIGH,UMB". Also, MS-DOS never shows more than 64 MB of memory, no matter how much more is installed.