VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Screamer2

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Because many (the most) new integrated audio controller - AC97 codec and sound card is not comes with real DOS drivers (not the different Windows emulations), is tehere any project that making SB16 or another universal emulation like VDMSound but just for pure DOS? Lot of searching but I haven't found yet...

Many old but not too old games which heavily uses VESA LFB modes (like Screamer 2) not runs correctly with Windows XP's NTVDM because the missing LFB and buggy banked fallback VESA code. And experimenting with different Glide versions and wrappers is a real pain.

Reply 1 of 3, by mirekluza

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

I doubt it and I do not think anything like that will ever exist. Why? There is no standard way how to access any sound card in DOS (unlike Windows where there is defined interface). So any such project would basically need to contain DOS drivers for all available sound cards. This is nonsense.
The only solution are emulators using interface provided by some modern underlying OS:
- sound card emulators (VDMSound etc.)
- DOS/PC emulators (DOSBOX, Microsoft Virtual PC etc.)

Mirek

Reply 2 of 3, by Screamer2

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It's absolutely understandable and OK. Write an emulator to millions of different hardware certainly not possible, it's a fact. But I just hopes to a several widespread. Unfortunately manufacturers don't care about it, moreover removes the previously exiting DOS support. For example VIA 8233 south bridge gives SB Pro support (with BIOS and a small TSR) but 8233A not. Possibilities all dead, and there is many midle age games that will never be fully run on a new system...

Reply 3 of 3, by mirekluza

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Wait for 10 Ghz computers, then everything will be playable in DOSBOX. I guess that at that time it will also make sense to have Glide emulation in DOSBOX (currently it would be IMHO useless - too slow).

Mirek