VOGONS

First post, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Ultima 6 is one of my fond childhood memories. Back then my 386DX-16 was easily able to run it, but the only sound hardware I had went *beep* and not much else. So I never heard the legendary soundtrack. Now I've knocked together a retro system and want to listen to what I was missing. AdLib works fine, but what I really wanted was the Roland / MIDI soundtrack. But I'm not getting anything. Any ideas what could be up?

System:
486DX-33
Aztech Sound Galaxy Pro 16 II (AZT2316A chip, hardware SB emulation)
Roland FP-7 electric piano (full General MIDI support- basically an SC-55 with keys) connected via MIDI

SB is on 220/5/1 (and does AdLib on 388)
MIDI is on 330

Hardware and config is working fine, I have beautiful MIDI in other games like Tyrian and Colonization (as well as SB for effects - not an option with Ultima 6).

Reply 1 of 15, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ultima VI only supported the Roland MT-32 for MIDI music, so GM won't work unfortunately. But the FM music in the game is still very good and a huge step up from PC speaker 😉

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 2 of 15, by Scali

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
clueless1 wrote:

Ultima VI only supported the Roland MT-32 for MIDI music, so GM won't work unfortunately.

You should still get sound though, even if the instruments aren't quite the correct ones.
The only explanation I could give for no sound at all, is that the game requires a Roland MPU-401 interface in intelligent mode, and the soundcard used only supports UART mode.
This can be worked around with SoftMPU, so perhaps you should give that a try: http://bjt42.github.io/softmpu/

http://scalibq.wordpress.com/just-keeping-it- … ro-programming/

Reply 3 of 15, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
clueless1 wrote:

Ultima VI only supported the Roland MT-32 for MIDI music, so GM won't work unfortunately. But the FM music in the game is still very good and a huge step up from PC speaker 😉

Of course Ultima 6 is pre-General MIDI, but isn't the only major difference between the MT-32 and GM that the instrument assignments can be a bit different - and that the MT-32 can only be on address 330? If that's the case surely I should get some sound if my MIDI is on 330?

Scali wrote:
You should still get sound though, even if the instruments aren't quite the correct ones. The only explanation I could give for […]
Show full quote
clueless1 wrote:

Ultima VI only supported the Roland MT-32 for MIDI music, so GM won't work unfortunately.

You should still get sound though, even if the instruments aren't quite the correct ones.
The only explanation I could give for no sound at all, is that the game requires a Roland MPU-401 interface in intelligent mode, and the soundcard used only supports UART mode.
This can be worked around with SoftMPU, so perhaps you should give that a try: http://bjt42.github.io/softmpu/

Hmm, worth a try - Ultima 6 is not too RAM-hungry and I have more than enough Conventional left. Of course this will still only do the MIDI on the SB Pro-clone, not on the Roland, but it should be better than (mono) AdLib.

Reply 4 of 15, by Scali

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
dionb wrote:

Of course this will still only do the MIDI on the SB Pro-clone, not on the Roland

No, it will turn your 'dumb' MPU-401 MIDI interface into an 'intelligent' MPU-401 MIDI interface.
So you still need to have the Roland piano hooked up to your MIDI port.

Reply 5 of 15, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
dionb wrote:

Of course Ultima 6 is pre-General MIDI, but isn't the only major difference between the MT-32 and GM that the instrument assignments can be a bit different

Partially correct. MT-32 or compatible devices can also be programmed with custom instrument sets via SYSEX messages which is something some titles did. GM devices usually only had read only instruments, at least via the MIDI bus.

dionb wrote:

and that the MT-32 can only be on address 330? If that's the case surely I should get some sound if my MIDI is on 330?

This is for the MPU-401 interface. 0x330 was the default IO address, but the interface itself is fairly agnostic of the MIDI device on the other end.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 6 of 15, by squiggly

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
gdjacobs wrote:
dionb wrote:

Of course Ultima 6 is pre-General MIDI, but isn't the only major difference between the MT-32 and GM that the instrument assignments can be a bit different

Partially correct. MT-32 or compatible devices can also be programmed with custom instrument sets via SYSEX messages which is something some titles did. GM devices usually only had read only instruments, at least via the MIDI bus.

I would say this is the real answer. Lot's of GM devices have different patch sets that sound different, even minor variations of the SC-55 sound different. Try playing a custom instrument game intended for MT-32 on an SC-55 though...and it will sound like hell.

Reply 7 of 15, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Scali wrote:
dionb wrote:

Of course this will still only do the MIDI on the SB Pro-clone, not on the Roland

No, it will turn your 'dumb' MPU-401 MIDI interface into an 'intelligent' MPU-401 MIDI interface.
So you still need to have the Roland piano hooked up to your MIDI port.

Yep, SoftMPU did the trick. Thanks for the (rather simple - I should have found that out myself) tip 😀

Was also nicely relieved it played nice with LH, so it hasn't claimed any of my 624kB of free conventional memory.

squiggly wrote:

I would say this is the real answer. Lot's of GM devices have different patch sets that sound different, even minor variations of the SC-55 sound different. Try playing a custom instrument game intended for MT-32 on an SC-55 though...and it will sound like hell.

Haven't spent more than few minutes listening yet - I'm not going to start actually playing until my younger children have gone to bed - but so far so good. Possibly one of the sounds in the menu is a bit odd, but overall it's more than acceptable and far less grating than the crude AdLib synthesis.

Maybe I'll change my mind after playing some time - and undoubtedly there will be some titles out there that really sound crap - but for now I'm very happy to have the option. Maybe one day I'll splurge on an MT-32, CM-32L or LAPC-I (or hit gold in some thrift shop), but until then this is the next best thing.

Reply 8 of 15, by Scali

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
dionb wrote:

Maybe I'll change my mind after playing some time - and undoubtedly there will be some titles out there that really sound crap - but for now I'm very happy to have the option. Maybe one day I'll splurge on
an MT-32, CM-32L or LAPC-I (or hit gold in some thrift shop), but until then this is the next best thing.

There's another alternative: MUNT, the MT-32 emulator.
It's very accurate, and one way you can use it is to set up a modern PC with MUNT, and connect the MIDI out of your vintage machine to the MIDI In of the MUNT-machine.
See this video for an example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvuncHhza5A

Reply 9 of 15, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yep, Scali is right this is the easiest way. Howto video by Phil:
https://www.youtube.com/embed/vSk9S1bkRS8?aut … play=1&vq=hd720

But if you would like to use your hardware and your hardware actually supports the MT-32 compatible bank and drumset of SC-55, you can try this pack. You should start GS2MT32.BAT before playing your game. It sets channels 2-9 Bank MSB to 127 and channel 10 Program to 127 and sets the default MT-32 compatible patches.

Filename
GS2MT32.zip
File size
25.75 KiB
Downloads
92 downloads
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Website, Facebook, Youtube
Falcosoft Soundfont Midi Player + Munt VSTi + BassMidi VSTi
VST Midi Driver Midi Mapper

Reply 10 of 15, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Falcosoft is too modest. For Windows machines, FSMP is even easier. Download on the sig above, obligatory video from Phil below:
https://www.philscomputerlab.com/ultimate-midi-emulator.html

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 11 of 15, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
gdjacobs wrote:

Falcosoft is too modest. For Windows machines, FSMP is even easier. Download on the sig above, obligatory video from Phil below:
https://www.philscomputerlab.com/ultimate-midi-emulator.html

I'm not so modest, I linked the same video 😀
I forget to mention but the syx file in the zip package above also sets the MT-32 default 12 semitones pitch bend range on all channels. And the 'Delay2=2000' line in MDF.INI should be replaced with a more rational value (e.g. Delay2=200) since the sending process is unnecessarily slow with 2 sec. delay.

Website, Facebook, Youtube
Falcosoft Soundfont Midi Player + Munt VSTi + BassMidi VSTi
VST Midi Driver Midi Mapper

Reply 13 of 15, by TamaMan

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Regarding Ultima 6 with newer GM devices, I have created a custom MIDI.DAT optimized for Sound Canvas devices. Using it should sound better on GM devices than the default MT-32 optimized one that comes with the game.

Grab it here (remember to backup the original). Some background/setup info here.

Reply 14 of 15, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
TamaMan wrote on 2023-01-13, 16:28:

Regarding Ultima 6 with newer GM devices, I have created a custom MIDI.DAT optimized for Sound Canvas devices. Using it should sound better on GM devices than the default MT-32 optimized one that comes with the game.

Grab it here (remember to backup the original). Some background/setup info here.

Very nice! Thank you! I assume this will work fine with midi daughterboards as long as they are set to the correct midi port?

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 15 of 15, by TamaMan

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Very nice! Thank you! I assume this will work fine with midi daughterboards as long as they are set to the correct midi port?

Yes, no computer I/O, IRQ etc. involved with that file, just standard MIDI program changes. A Roland SC-7 was used when creating the file, SCB-7 and SCB-55 should sound as intended.

"High fidelity recordings of 90s PRO MIDI music and DOS/Windows game soundtracks on real hardware (AdLib, Sound Blaster+CMS/Pro 2/16/AWE32/AWE64, Roland MT-32/SC-55/SCC-1/SC-7)"
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCiSJ_UFogOYTKcBKHwXz3lA