VOGONS

First post, by telecommand

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello! Need a bit of help please.

I have Windows 95 installed on an old PC of mine. For some reason I can't get the default directory to save for when I boot to DOS. It keeps booting to C:\WINDOWS\ but I want it to boot to C:\GAMES\.

I've attached the .PIF file I use - I've set it up as per Phil's DOS menu tutorial. I edited one of the lines to setdefaultdir=c:\games or something like that (can't tell you exactly right now as I'm on a Win10 PC sorry,) but no matter what I change, it always boots to C:\WINDOWS\.

Is there a setting I'm missing somewhere or something I need to edit in the .PIF file to get this to boot to the right directory? If anyone could let me know what to change, or upload a fixed .PIF file for me I would be forever grateful 😊

Thanks in advance!

Filename
Exit To Dos.PIF
File size
2.25 KiB
Downloads
39 downloads
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 3 of 6, by KCompRoom2000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
telecommand wrote:

Hmm I don't see a dosstart.bat anywhere..?

AUTOEXEC.BAT and DOSSTART.BAT aren't always generated by Windows 95 installations. If you don't see DOSSTART.BAT inside your Windows folder, you can create a blank text document and name it DOSSTART.BAT, edit your newly made DOSSTART.BAT file with Notepad or MS-DOS editor and add your startup commands there.

Reply 5 of 6, by skitters

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Check around 3:40 into Phil's video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f52bZzWs-u4

Maybe you want C:\Games typed into where it says "Working" on the .pif properties Program tab.