VOGONS

First post, by Timmah7286

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi all. In the past few weeks, this site has instantly become my favorite forum hands down.. thanks for the plethora of information.

I have been building a dos gaming machine to play all the games I grew up playing.. from commander keen, wolfed, doom.. etc.

Using parts I always drooled over.. my dream system was a 486 dx2 with a sound blaster.. I went with a Pentium for a bit more horsepower for games from 95-97 like quake, hexen, heretic, etc.

My issue is:

My sound blaster awe32 ct3780, chosen because it is not PNP, isn't working too good.

In diagnose.exe, I can hear fm, awe synthesized, but 8 and 16 bit digitized sound is silence.. in booting doom shareware version up, same thing... Music but no sound...

Im stumped. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Specs of computer if it helps:
Gateway 2000 p5 90
Pentium 66
16mb ram
Cirrus 5346 1mb PC i think... Have a 5446 in the mail..
Dos 6.22 with win 3.1 also loaded (just for nostalgia.. haven't done much in it yet)

Reply 1 of 3, by Timmah7286

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

One thing to add... I don't have a set of PC speakers at the moment... I have the sound going out the line out of the awe32 to the line in of a laptop, and have it going through that temporarily... I cannot get any sound out of the speaker out jack.. not sure if It is broke or just not compatible with line in on a laptop

Reply 2 of 3, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ask old hardware and driver/configuration questions in Marvin. This forum is for DOS games on modern systems. Marvin, the Paranoid Android

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers