VOGONS

First post, by Vikingo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello everyone. I'm new to the forum and I'm still putting together my retro PC. Meanwhile, I'm trying to see how to do certain things.

I would like to know if there is any way to install a bootable DOS on an external hard drive using a modern computer with Windows 10 or even a Mac. If I get a positive answer for this I will save myself dealing with diskettes that are not easy to get where I am.

Thanks

Follow me on twitter @cristian. 🤣

Reply 1 of 7, by squiggly

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

External as in USB? Assuming BIOS can load and boot a DOS boot sector from a USB hard drive...wouldn't DOS itself need USB support to see the disk it is booting from? Which it doesn't have AFAIK.

Reply 2 of 7, by Vikingo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

My idea is to format and drive and try to install DOS in my actual PC and later put that disk into the retro PC.

I can copy files into the old HDD, no problem with that. Just wondering if i can in any way install DOS into that drive using my actual PC. Have no floppy drive, only the DOS images.

Reply 3 of 7, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I've done this using a VM and a pass through device file. Although I use KVM now, you might find VirtualBox to be more convenient. Here's how you set it up.
https://www.serverwatch.com/server-tutorials/ … tualbox-vm.html

I installed DOS 6.22, Win 3.1, and lots of other stuff with virtual floppies this way. The only downside (and one of the reasons I use KVM now) is that VBox is less flexible when it comes to floppy formats, but it's still a very handy trick.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 4 of 7, by Vikingo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
gdjacobs wrote:

I've done this using a VM and a pass through device file. Although I use KVM now, you might find VirtualBox to be more convenient. Here's how you set it up.
https://www.serverwatch.com/server-tutorials/ … tualbox-vm.html

I installed DOS 6.22, Win 3.1, and lots of other stuff with virtual floppies this way. The only downside (and one of the reasons I use KVM now) is that VBox is less flexible when it comes to floppy formats, but it's still a very handy trick.

Thanks!!! This look like what im looking for. I need to test if it work with the hard drive conected vía USB.

Reply 5 of 7, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Vikingo wrote:

Thanks!!! This look like what im looking for. I need to test if it work with the hard drive conected vía USB.

That's how I used it. Let me know if you have trouble.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 6 of 7, by Vikingo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I succesfully installed MS-DOS 6.22 into the external hard drive. Have several permission problems while i try create and later mount the vmdk file. Solved everything with this fantastic GUI tool for OSX. https://whatroute.net/vboxrawdisk.html