VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 20 of 33, by Mike

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

😠 😠 😠 😠 😠 😠 😠 😠
I'm that angry now. Because I searched froogle.google.com for the keywords Used ATAPI CD-ROM Drive and all I got Is new ATAPI CD-ROM drives!!!! And I don't know which eternet card is suitable with my old computer! besides my connection speed is 100Mbps. So I don't think there is a suitable eternet card for my old computer that can take a 100mpbs speed connection. I don't even know which ATAPI CD-ROM drive is suitable for my old PC. Could you give me a old ATAPI CD-ROM Drive's model number??? And I'm been trying to figure out a way to transfer data for weeks! I don't even know which parrell cable is correct for the transfer from my newest computer to my old computer. I would like to transfer the eternet way, but I don't have a network card on my old PC. I don't even think theres a card that can take 100Mbps speed connection, and suitable with my old machine! oh one more thing. can you give me a model number of a ISA soundblaster Wavetable soundcard and it supports General MIDI, and it is suitable with my older computer so I don't go crazy finding the correct sound card?

Reply 21 of 33, by mirekluza

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Well, we adviced you here some solutions. The one with cable is slow but simple and NOT difficult even for a newbie. You should be able to buy a cable on your own!
Other variants: changing CD ROM (you can buy a new one, not only used one - all ATAPI CD ROMs are compatible !), using network cards or physically moving disc from one PC to another are a bit more complicated and I would recommend you to ask in any computer shop (everywhere where they repair PCs they should be able to help you).
It just needs a bit of initiative on your side, not just saying here I want help.... Do not tell us that there is not any shop with used PCs or computer shop where they repair PCs in you area...
We are prepare here to help newbies, but we can just give you advices (and you got enough of them here), not solve your problem ourselves.

Mirek

Reply 22 of 33, by Mike

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Mirek, I'm very sorry to bother you again. But, I found my cable! there connected to both of the computers! 😀
And I started Total Commander from the computer I'm transfering from.
but I got a problem. my problem is that when I started Total Commander, I had a problem. both of the bars at total commander had the same data. wait a second... am I supossed to Install Total Commander at the other computer too? and unfortunately, the software is asking me to register after a 30 day period. And I ran Total Commander on my older computer too but the newer computer data does not display! so I need to hurry and get the setup done before the period expires. how do I get the other bar to display my older computer's data?

Reply 23 of 33, by mirekluza

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Total Commander is not crippled in any way apart from the reminding screen at the beginning - at least it was like that last time I checked it (it will not expire after 30 days). I think it should not matter for this that it is not registered.
You must run it on both computers. There is even Total Commander version for Windows 3.1 and DOS driver for parallel port transfer (if you need them).
Have you had a look into Total Commander help? I did it according to it about 2 years ago and it worked. This is from Total Commander help (there are other usefull things as well)

Starting the parallel port connection
1. Turn off both machines, connect them by parallel cable, and turn them back on.
2. Start Total Commander on both machines. You only need 1 licence if you are the only user.
3. On both machines, select 'Net' - 'PORT connection to other PC'.
4. One machine will act as a server, and one as a client. You will be working on the client, while Total Commander cannot be used on the server during the connection. Therefore select 'Server' on one machine, and 'Client' on the other.
5. If your computer has multiple parallel ports, Total Commander will ask for the port which you want to use. Choose the port to which the parallel cable is connected.
6. The connection is now established. It works similar to an FTP connection, i.e. you can now upload, download, delete, rename, view, and edit files, but not execute programs. Furthermore, you can use 'synchronize dirs'.
7. Close the connection on the client (Disconnect) and server (Abort).

There is even troubleshooting section in help - if you have problems look there. Also remember that you should connect the cable when computers are switched off (it is not USB where you can connect any time).
I hope this helps.

Mirek

Reply 24 of 33, by Mike

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Mirek, Thank you very much for your advice. 😦 But I got the wrong cable. SIGH................................... So unfortunately, Wal-mart or Office Depot does not have the cables. There's gotta be a computer store near me... What stores do you know that carries the data transfer cables?
Please let me know.

Last edited by Mike on 2004-08-09, 23:03. Edited 3 times in total.

Reply 25 of 33, by Mike

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It looks like I found a blue transfer cable. but I need help using the cable. I used total commander and it got a error saying: "Connect failure! no data recived." Is there any other software that I can transfer data but the software supports serial transfer cables? I don't care if the transfer is slower. I just want to get it done.
How I set the cable is on one computer I putted the serial 9 pin side of the cable. on the other computer, I putted the 25 pin parallel side of the cable. Is there ANY of the transfer software out there that supports 9 pin serial and 25 pin parallel cable????????

Reply 26 of 33, by mirekluza

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

1. You cannot connect a serial port and a parallel port together! Just serial-serial or parallel-parallel.
2. The cable you have has probably two different types of serial connectors (yes, there were two types - both had the same functionality as far as I know- reductions between them exist).
3. There are certainly programms using serial transfer, but I do not have any experience with them. Try to search net. It may be even possible directly with Windows (component Direct Cable Connection). I have no experience with either using it or a serial cable

Mirek

Reply 27 of 33, by Mike

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

🙁 🙁 🙁 🙁 🙁 🙁 🙁 🙁 🙁 🙁 🙁 🙁 🙁 🙁 🙁 🙁 🙁 😠 😠 😠 😠 😠 😠 😠 😠 😠 😠 Well, its over.........
my older computer can't startup properly anymore... spent $12 on a Keyboard adapter and spent $16 on the transfer cable......
Reinstalled Pro Audio Sprectrun 16... then my computer turned into useless pile of junk!!! 😠 😠 😠 😠 😠 😠 😠 😠 😠 😠 😠 😠 😠 😠 11 days total wasted figureing out how to trransfer...
now it looks like the money for the products is now not worth it anymore...
spent a TRUCKLOAD of time looking and submiting fourms..................
EVERYTHINGS HOPELESS NOW!!!!! After the reinstall of Pro Audio Sprectrum 16, I get new problems. Anyway, if you want to see how my floppy looks like, view the attachment image. just a reminder. my operating system is PC-DOS 6.3 and Windows 95. when I startup, I see a illegal operation error, and the desktop does not appear. I would like some help on this.

Mike

Attachments

• Pro Audio Sprectrum 16 floppy.jpg
    Filename
    Pro Audio Sprectrum 16 floppy.jpg
    File size
    196.69 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    This is the installation disk that came with my Pro Audio Sprectrum 16 sound card.
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 28 of 33, by Mike

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Mike wrote:
:sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :angry: […]
Show full quote

🙁 🙁 🙁 🙁 🙁 🙁 🙁 🙁 🙁 🙁 🙁 🙁 🙁 🙁 🙁 🙁 🙁 😠 😠 😠 😠 😠 😠 😠 😠 😠 😠 Well, its over.........
my older computer can't startup properly anymore... spent $12 on a Keyboard adapter and spent $16 on the transfer cable......
Reinstalled Pro Audio Sprectrun 16... then my computer turned into useless pile of junk!!! 😠 😠 😠 😠 😠 😠 😠 😠 😠 😠 😠 😠 😠 😠 11 days total wasted figureing out how to trransfer...
now it looks like the money for the products is now not worth it anymore...
spent a TRUCKLOAD of time looking and submiting fourms..................
EVERYTHINGS HOPELESS NOW!!!!! After the reinstall of Pro Audio Sprectrum 16, I get new problems. Anyway, if you want to see how my floppy looks like, view the attachment image. just a reminder. my operating system is PC-DOS 6.3 and Windows 95. when I startup, I see a illegal operation error, and the desktop does not appear. I would like some help on this.

Mike

Well, I give up on the older computer. I guess I'm going to have to buy a new one. but I been having trouble finding the correct pc. Which websites sell a older 486, Pentium?

Reply 29 of 33, by Mike

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Mirek, how come when I start Total Commander, It says that I have only one month to use the software, then I have to register? I thought you said that the software does not expire after a month.

Reply 30 of 33, by mirekluza

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator
Mike wrote:

Which websites sell a older 486, Pentium?

No idea, I was never interested in that. But there must be some shops with used PCs in your town (or in a neigbouring town). I live near a town with 50000 inhabitants and there are two such shops. I doubt that in USA it would be otherwise.

Mike wrote:

Mirek, how come when I start Total Commander, It says that I have only one month to use the software, then I have to register? I thought you said that the software does not expire after a month.

The author relies on honesty. You should register, but if you are dishonest and keep using it nothing happens (well, you get minus point to your karma 😀 ). If you decide to keep using the program, you should register - Total Commander is worth of it.

Mirek

Reply 32 of 33, by Mike

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Mirek, just to let you know, I'm trying to trransfer data to my old computer, but my old computer has DOS and my new computer has Windows. I don't think Total Commander is a good idea for transfer. Is there any transfer software designed for DOS and requires parallel ports?