Adventure remakes

Topic actions

Reply 21 of 42, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
robertmo wrote on 2022-10-16, 20:05:

nvidia canvas for everyone (rtx not needed)
http://gaugan.org/gaugan2/

What.. am I looking at here?

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 24 of 42, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
robertmo wrote on 2023-03-11, 20:54:

Space Quest 3D complete with voice acting!
https://turbochimp.itch.io/space-quest-3d/dev … th-voice-acting

released
https://turbochimp.itch.io/space-quest-3d

Reply 25 of 42, by robertmo3

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
robertmo wrote on 2022-10-18, 15:18:

So, after a second King's Quest 4 remake
We gonna have a second Maniac Mansion 1 remake 😉

https://www.night-of-the-meteor.de/en/news.ht … 23%20Sep%202022

when i was writing above, there already was yet another remake released 😉
https://vampyre-games.itch.io/meteor-mess

Reply 26 of 42, by awgamer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
robertmo wrote on 2018-05-27, 17:11:
Don't know if anyone noticed but there is just one game of each series left with typing interface: -King's Quest 4 -Space Quest […]
Show full quote

Don't know if anyone noticed but there is just one game of each series left with typing interface:
-King's Quest 4
-Space Quest 3
-Larry 3
-Police Quest 2
-Les Manley 1 In: Search For The King
-Codename: Iceman

The following ones at least allow mouse looking:
-Laura Bow 1
-Conquest of Camelot

While KQ4 is being worked on, other games are left abandoned.

The funny thing is that it is only mouse interface that is needed for those games, while fun remakes often add a lot of extra stuff, like voice, new graphics/animation and even extend gameplay and often finish cancelled.

Commercial remakes on the other hand remake mostly games that already have mouse interface and even look way better.

Do you think there is a chance above games will finally get their mouse control or at least mouse looking?

Not getting a remake doesn't translate to being abandoned to me. Original can be considered the best version, still so with remakes in cases. I still prefer the original dune ii, master of orion.

Reply 27 of 42, by twiz11

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
awgamer wrote on 2023-10-29, 16:01:
robertmo wrote on 2018-05-27, 17:11:
Don't know if anyone noticed but there is just one game of each series left with typing interface: -King's Quest 4 -Space Quest […]
Show full quote

Don't know if anyone noticed but there is just one game of each series left with typing interface:
-King's Quest 4
-Space Quest 3
-Larry 3
-Police Quest 2
-Les Manley 1 In: Search For The King
-Codename: Iceman

The following ones at least allow mouse looking:
-Laura Bow 1
-Conquest of Camelot

While KQ4 is being worked on, other games are left abandoned.

The funny thing is that it is only mouse interface that is needed for those games, while fun remakes often add a lot of extra stuff, like voice, new graphics/animation and even extend gameplay and often finish cancelled.

Commercial remakes on the other hand remake mostly games that already have mouse interface and even look way better.

Do you think there is a chance above games will finally get their mouse control or at least mouse looking?

Not getting a remake doesn't translate to being abandoned to me. Original can be considered the best version, still so with remakes in cases. I still prefer the original dune ii, master of orion.

i wouldnt worry about it, at least we have dosbox though i suspect no remakes is because the source code is long long gone either through moves or ip transfers it got lost and or destroyed

iami

Reply 28 of 42, by RetroGamer4Ever

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Microsoft is eager to monetize all the IP they got with the AB buyout and the Sierra classics are known to those at Microsoft who have voices and leadership positions, like Phil Spencer, who has mentioned them a few times. What that means for the future, is anyone's guess, but I'm sure that remasters are on the table. I can see them giving remaster work to Nightdive or someone else, who will spruce up the VGA 2D games. Beyond that, I can't really see anything being done with the classic IP - certainly not remakes - unless someone with money really wanted to go all-in like the LSL reboot.

Reply 29 of 42, by twiz11

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
RetroGamer4Ever wrote on 2023-10-29, 21:25:

Microsoft is eager to monetize all the IP they got with the AB buyout and the Sierra classics are known to those at Microsoft who have voices and leadership positions, like Phil Spencer, who has mentioned them a few times. What that means for the future, is anyone's guess, but I'm sure that remasters are on the table. I can see them giving remaster work to Nightdive or someone else, who will spruce up the VGA 2D games. Beyond that, I can't really see anything being done with the classic IP - certainly not remakes - unless someone with money really wanted to go all-in like the LSL reboot.

LSL IP is owned by Codemasters aka EA. eh

iami

Reply 30 of 42, by twiz11

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

but most of the people at these companies are no longer around, so how do you revitalize classic ips considering most are on gog or steam and working so theres no financial sense to revitalize or remake them. Sierra is long gone so they would be exploiting the brand name like AB is doing these days to mask their contempt with the end user about not buying into these micro transgressions. You cant really compete with the classic market since the games still work the same. I wish they would release new episodes for old games in the same style and coding so you can play them on actual retro machines

iami

Reply 31 of 42, by DaveDDS

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Fond memories - I spent many hours typing at the original "Crowther and Woods" adventure game back in the late 70s (running on an IBM 360 mainframe).

One of my first attempts at writing any sort of game was doing my own "Adventure Castle" - anyone who cares, can see it in the example programs
for my compiler which I've recently posted as part of my: Publish 40+ years worth of "Stuff I've written" - retirement project.

Dave Dunfield ::: https://dunfield.themindfactory.com
or: "Daves Old Computers" -> Personal (near bottom)

Reply 32 of 42, by Spikey

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I feel like this is very unlikely. Gabriel Knight 4 is being pursued by the original devs but beyond this I'd be shocked if there was another Sierra reboot/remaster. I just don't see the profit potential being big enough for them to care.

I can maybe see a King's Quest or something getting a "test remake", but if it does poorly as previous Sierra reboots/remasters have done..

Reply 35 of 42, by Joakim

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I remember these typing games fondly. Like KQ1 on our Amstrad we had in the late 80s. But it's not something I would like to play today. I learned English from games like this. They were very educational to adventure hungry kids.

Reply 37 of 42, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
robertmo3 wrote on 2024-02-29, 19:24:

removing:

-Police Quest 2

That's sad 🙁

Reply 39 of 42, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
robertmo3 wrote on 2024-03-01, 06:05:

here you said something different 😀
Re: Adventure remakes poll

Umm, I think I said I wanted a PQ2 remake there? And now there is not one in the works? Hence I'm sad? I don't understand 😁